Adding a Checkbox conditionally

edited 12/09/19 in Using Smartsheet
05/09/19 Edited 12/09/19

I have a condition where I'd like to have a cell blank, until anything is entered into a cell on the same row.

For example, if Column 1 is blank, there is no checkbox in Column 2.

If any data is entered into Column 1, add a checkbox to Column 2.

The difference being that if Column 1 is blank, and data is entered into Column 3, then no checkbox will appear.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Nic LarsenNic Larsen ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/09/19

Try this. If Column 1 is blank, it'll not check the box. If not empty, check the box.

=IF(ISBLANK([Column 1]@row, 0, 1)

I am not sure I get what Column 3 has to do but if you expand a bit, I can add that into this formula. 

• lmarchisiolmarchisio ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure this is possible as you describe.  Checkboxes are a function of how the column is formatted. 

Could you get around this by leaving it as a text/number column and writing a formula that leaves the cell blank until some other condition is met, then add a number like 0 or 1 as a way to trigger additional formulas.

have to admit to being curious as to what you are trying to do.  I've never come across a situation where making the checkbox itself appear was the goal.  check and uncheck, yes.  but never appear and disappear.  

• Andrée StaråAndrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/10/19

Hi Ryan,

Do you want to hide the checkbox so the cell is blank? (without the square)

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET PARTNER & CONSULTANT / EXPERT

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E: [email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me about help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or something else entirely.

• sean59916sean59916
    edited 05/09/19

Hi, 

Adding to Nik's response - try this in column 2 to find all the conditions that you stated in the question : 

=IF(ISBLANK([Column1]1), IF(ISBLANK([Column3]1), 0, 0), 1)

I hope this helps?

Sean

2019-05-10_10-01-41.jpg

• It's a strange condition. I've added a better photo explaination below. 

I don't want to add a checked box, I want to add a checkbox that is able to be checked. This may not be possible.

Capture.PNG

• Paul NewcomePaul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭

Put this in your checkbox column...

=IF(ISBLANK([Primary Column]@row), ".", 0)

You can then set a Conditional Formatting rule to change the font and cell fill colors to both be white if Primary Column is ".".

Once data is put into the Primary Column, it will change from what appears to be a blank cell to an unchecked box.

Keep in mind... Once the box is checked, it will delete the formula out of the cell.

thinkspi.com