Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Gantt Chart Child activity start date locked to parent start date..

Options

Having a strange issue where I cannot change the start date of a child activity. It locks to the parent activity start date. Also if I try to add a new activity below the same parent, or if I create it somewhere else and move it to below the parent - it still locks it to to the parent start date.

None of the activities have completion% or status. If I right click the bar and choose edit - only duration can be edited.

I do like the dependencies, but don't understand when and why a child's start date is locked to a parent. I have other activities in the same schedule where children start date are set and the just reflected by the parent.

Workaround? Setting? All suggestions are welcome.

Tags:

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/04/17
    Options

Fredrik,

Are you using Predecessors?

If you are then one of the possible causes is that you have created a link to the hierarchy row.

Predecessors are for managing/controling tasks and not hierarchies.  It is the tasks that drive the project not the hierarchies.  Also you can also end up creating a circular reference if you link to Hiearchies as well as tasks.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have somehow gotten a date entered into the Start Date for a parent, the children will 'inherit' that date until dates, predecessors, or duration are entered for them specifically.

Delete the dates for the parent row and let them recalculate.

Craig

• Alberto
    Options

They behaviour it is the same that you are explaining above, 

The children cannot modify its data freely it inherits from its parents,

this is not how Microsoft Projects works, I was wondering what was the reason behind this decision, the children should have a sort of freedom, in order to grow independently. 

Any thoughts

Snag_bdf65f.png

This discussion has been closed.