Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Gantt Chart Child activity start date locked to parent start date..

Having a strange issue where I cannot change the start date of a child activity. It locks to the parent activity start date. Also if I try to add a new activity below the same parent, or if I create it somewhere else and move it to below the parent - it still locks it to to the parent start date.

None of the activities have completion% or status. If I right click the bar and choose edit - only duration can be edited.

I do like the dependencies, but don't understand when and why a child's start date is locked to a parent. I have other activities in the same schedule where children start date are set and the just reflected by the parent.

Workaround? Setting? All suggestions are welcome.

Tags:

Comments

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/04/17

Fredrik,

Are you using Predecessors?

If you are then one of the possible causes is that you have created a link to the hierarchy row.

Predecessors are for managing/controling tasks and not hierarchies.  It is the tasks that drive the project not the hierarchies.  Also you can also end up creating a circular reference if you link to Hiearchies as well as tasks.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you have somehow gotten a date entered into the Start Date for a parent, the children will 'inherit' that date until dates, predecessors, or duration are entered for them specifically.

Delete the dates for the parent row and let them recalculate.

Craig

• They behaviour it is the same that you are explaining above, 

The children cannot modify its data freely it inherits from its parents,

this is not how Microsoft Projects works, I was wondering what was the reason behind this decision, the children should have a sort of freedom, in order to grow independently. 

Any thoughts

Snag_bdf65f.png

This discussion has been closed.