How to show "most recent status"

aspunt1
aspunt1
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi All,

I have a "Client Health" column, where I'm using the five hearts symbols to rate the health of a client from 1 - 5.

The "Client Health" will get updated every 30 days, based on the current status of the account.  This happens in rows 19 - 23 only. 

In Row 1, of the "Client Health" column, I want to display the most recent "client health" selection, only.

Is there a formula I can use in Row 1 of the "Client Health" column, to say "display only most recent selection from rows 19 - 23, here"?

Thanks in advance! 

Client Health Formula screenshot.png

Tags:

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. If you are just trying to pull the date, you would use something along the lines of

=MAX([Date Column]19:[Date Column]23

If you are trying to pull the text, we would use the MAX formula above to pull a row number for an INDEX function.

=INDEX([Text Column]19:[Text Column]23, MATCH(MAX([Date Column]19:[Date Column]23), [Date Column]19:[Date Column]23, 0))

• Hi Paul,

This is so close to working!

Here the INDEX formula I'm using: 

=INDEX([Pilot Status]19:[Pilot Status]23, MATCH(MAX([Renewal Date]19:[Renewal Date]23), [Renewal Date]19:[Renewal Date]23, 0))

Issue:  the "Pilot Status" cell in row 1 is only populating the value of row 23, only when all rows 19 - 23 are filled in.

Goal:  I need the Pilot Status cell in row 1 to populate, with the most recent Pilot Status [from rows 19 - 23], when just row 19 is filled in, and then it will update when row 20 gets filled in, and then update again when row 21 gets filled in, etc...

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean when row x gets "filled in"?

Are you meaning that the Pilot Status column has blank rows in it or the date column, or both?

• Yes - how do we get the formula to ignore the blank cells in the Pilot Status column?  See attached screenshot 

Pilot Status example.png

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So you are wanting to display the number of stars in the same row as the most recent date between rows 19 and 23 that actually has stars populated?

Give this a shot. We included a COLLECT function to only pull dates for the MAX to look at that have rows where the Pilot Status is not blank.

=INDEX([Pilot Status]19:[Pilot Status]23, MATCH(MAX(COLLECT([Renewal Date]19:[Renewal Date]23, [Pilot Status]19:[Pilot Status]23, @cell <> "")), 0))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!