How to ignore, or return a 0 with a blank cell in an IF formula

Options

Hello!

I'm trying to calculate my savings year-to-date. I thought i had the formula, but soon realized that having blank dates (maybe we don't have a start selling date, or the project is still in development), it'll still return a value when it should really be $0. I have no doubt there is a more elegant way to do my original calculation, but this is what i have:

My thought process is IF the start selling date is in the past, then take the estimated annual savings, divide by 12 and then multiply it by the # months in 2020 it's been selling for. In this case we were running the report for Feb so that is where the 2 comes from.

How can i get update this formula it to return a $0 or stay blank if the start selling date is blank? Or is there a better way to go about this formula in the first place!!

Thank you so much community!!

Best Answers

• Courtney Loukusa
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm still new to this, and did not know about @row until you just mentioned it. I think this will be helpful! Thanks!!

Answers

• I figured it out!!

=IF(AND(NOT(ISBLANK([Start Selling Date]11)), [Start Selling Date]11 < TODAY()), ([Estimated Annual Savings]11 / 12 * (MONTH(TODAY()) - [month of 2020 when sale became active-1]11)), 0)

• Courtney Loukusa
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'm still new to this, and did not know about @row until you just mentioned it. I think this will be helpful! Thanks!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!