Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Reminder when items assigned to user

cfarrow2112
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hi All,

This is probably something easy to do, but I'm still a little new to SS administration.  I have a issues log that has a "Assigned To" Column (using contact list) and a "Modified Date" (system).  I am trying to find a way to send the "assigned to" user a reminder email anytime something has been modified and the "assigned to" has been changed.

In other words, I might have an item that is assigned to myself, and I may be updating it with comments... but I don't need a reminder email sent to me.  However, once I reassign to another user, I want that user to get a reminder so they know the item is assigned back to them.

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This could be accomplished rather easy with the new notifications. Click on the Alerts tab in the bottom bar of the window. And choose new notification > "When a row is assigned"

Be sure that your Assignee row is a contact-list type of column. You can right-click on the column header to ensure this. 

Thank you, 

• Matt Stofka
    Matt Stofka ✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/22/17

Hi, cfarrow2112.  You can do this using Alerts/Notifications which will send an email notification to the person in the Assigned To column as soon as it changes.

On your sheet, click the Alerts tab at the bottom, and then:

1. Click Notifications
    2. Click New Notification
    3. Select When a Row is Assigned
    4. Name your Notification something meaningful
    5. When: select when Assigned To changes to Any Value
    6. Email: select Assigned To > Right Away (or you can choose one of the other options to send them less frequently)
    7. Click Customize Email and adjust the email Subject line and Body to something meaningful
    8. Click Save

Optionally, you can also add other conditions wherein this Assigned To change has to correspond with some other value in the column.

Hope that's helpful.

Matt

• Thank you to all!  That worked great.

This discussion has been closed.