Barcodes and UPC's

Consider this a giant bag of worms that I am opening!

I am interested in how others are using the Mobile App for UPC's and Barcodes. We are using it for a basic search function, but I am interested to hear about (or maybe even see) how you are applying this to more advanced business functions or maybe even customer integrations.

Pictures / Screenshots are completely welcome! Thanks In Advance

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

QR Code to a portal. I forgot about that one. I once built out a library solution where people could scan a QR code to be taken to a portal where they were able to search for books based on author, genre, and a handful of other criteria. The search results included the book's location then they had the ability to sign books in or out as well.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I personally use it for equipment tracking. If it is being checked in to or out of one of two locations (storage or maintenance shop), the barcode on the equipment gets scanned and a QR code either at the storage or maintenance shop gets scanned. When they get to a job site and when they leave a job site, they scan the barcode on the equipment and use the GPS feature to log the location.

I then use formulas to pull the most recent entry for each piece of equipment into a master so that I can very quickly see at a glance exactly where everything is.

I have also seen a case recently where managers were scanning a QR code on their employees' IDs as a way of clocking them in and out.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Samuel Courtney

I hope you're well and safe!

Some of the client solutions I've developed, use it for:

• Measuring time for specific steps in a process, Start/Stop (Project Sheet with QR Codes in Google Sheets that are unique for each project)
    • Inventory Management (check out/in)
    • Service/Order Request Form (using the URL-Query feature to connect it to a specific machine)
    • Open a Client Portal
    • Customer Complaints, Review, Suggestions
    • and more...

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree, can you explain more about using the QR Code? I am more interested in that.

We also manage some consumer products for our customers. Trying to figure out how to create some search and management functions

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

QR Code to a portal. I forgot about that one. I once built out a library solution where people could scan a QR code to be taken to a portal where they were able to search for books based on author, genre, and a handful of other criteria. The search results included the book's location then they had the ability to sign books in or out as well.

10xViz.com

• @Paul Newcome That is great insight. Was the portal also built with smartsheet? (Dashboard Maybe?) or did you build something external.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It was a Dashboard in Smartsheet with forms and a report. Basically you would fill out a form with your search criteria. The form would bring you back to the dashboard where the report showed the results filtered from the master sheet. There were also forms on that same dashboard to check in/out books.

I wanted to give each book its own QR code or barcode to ensure there were no typos when checking in/out a book, but some of the books were very old and we didn't want to risk damaging them. We have been discussing other options such as barcodes for most of the books and contacting the librarian to check in/out any of the books that didn't have barcodes.

Additionally, we had a dedicated tablet so that even those without a smartphone could take advantage of it and it gave the library a central location to manage everything via a separate sign-on.

10xViz.com

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Always happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com