Why are unlicensed users asked to upgrade to Premium?

07/08/20
Answered - Pending Review

Hi there,

Not sure whether this is request for change or an error in our licensing/configuration, but the unlicensed users in our configuration see a message that reads "You have limited access to Smartsheet. Upgrade to use premium features" whereas the licensed users do not see that message.

We have (we think) a properly licensed implementation of Smartsheet and that allows for a mixture of legitimately licensed and unlicensed users. The latter wonder why they are being asked to upgrade all of the time.

Advice?

Answers

• It is probably worth noting that they are members of our Account with user-ids on our Domain. In Smartsheet terms they only need to be "collaborators" and don't need to be licensed users.

• I agree, we are a small medical center with limited funds for licenses, many of our users do not have license, and do not need one, but the "upgrade for a licenses" pop-up makes them think they cannot use or even view sheets until they upgrade. This annoyance has held up many projects, and wasted so much time. We need to be able to turn this function off.

• Adam KinneyAdam Kinney ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, it has been a deterrent to my fellow associates that I am hoping will want to implement Smartsheet and puts me in a hard position as the current key stakeholder for the company.

• It would assist our understanding if smartsheet could post a response into this thread with some rationale as to why the system is configured as it is. Thx Rob.

• Agree. I am in the process of deciding on using this product. We do have an enterprise license and would like a number of collaborators and viewers to use my configuration. In an effort to streamline a process. If they are bombarded with emails asking for them to get a premium license it will be negative feedback on the new process.

• Nick BurrusNick Burrus ✭✭✭✭✭

This is something we're experiencing with deploying Smartsheet for a government-level-enterprise organization right now. The amount of license request pop-ups is making this government entity reconsider. We made training material on how to dismiss these.

Nick Burrus, MAOL, PhD Doctoral Candidate

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.

• Amy McMillionAmy McMillion ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see Smartsheet post an answer here as well. We utilize the Enterprise program, and the collaboration of unlicensed users to our field teams. We often have to field questions and assist field teams with this problem, which is time consuming and inconvenient. This takes away from the efficiency of the program.