Best practice when Jira issues are move to another Project

Kerri S
Kerri S ✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello SS Community,

I'm using the Jira to Smartsheet connector to add Jira issues into a Smartsheet for a unique project. There are occasions when an issue is moved to another project. Obviously, the original issue is still present in the Smartsheet. Is there a best practice to keep Smartsheets 'clean' when issues are moved or deleted?

Best Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/06/21 Answer ✓

If you're savvy with the Smartsheet API, you could use an automation service like Power Automate or AutomationAnywhere or Zapier to trigger a change to Smartsheet based on the Jira "issue" leaving the Jira project. From my knowledge, this would have to be done with the API since those Automation tools typically don't include an action for "delete a row". I could help you out if you'd like but it'd be some dev work. Pro bono. Trying to build a SS consulting side hustle!

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

Brett Wyrick | Connect with me on LinkedIn.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Kerri. They aren't tools that are a part of Jira - they're services that connect to Jira and a myriad of other apps & services (including Smartsheet). Basically, each "automation" service offers a simple workflow: "If something happens in App#1, then do something else in App#2." So for your use case, it'd be "When a Jira issue is moved from a particular project in Jira, then remove the row in Smartsheet". Does that make sense?

For many users that utilize Microsoft Office, Microsoft's automation service "Power Automate" likely comes with your existing M365 subscription. You can try and sign in here and see if it works for you when you sign in using your Microsoft account: https://flow.microsoft.com/ 

Then what you'd want to do is create a "flow" that'll utilize one user's Jira account and one user's Smartsheet account (so you'd need access to credentials of at least one user from each service, is what I'm saying), and the flow could be set up from there.

If you'd like, shoot me an email at brettwyrick@outlook.com and I can walk you through this a bit more, have a call, etc. if you'd be keen to.

Thanks,

Brett

If this answer answers your question, please press "Yes" above - it helps the community (and those random Googlers out there 👀) find solutions like yours faster.

Love,

2023 update: I'm no longer working on Smartsheet stuff. I started working at Microsoft in 2022, plus I have 1-year-old twins at home and frankly, I don't have enough time to do Smartsheet anymore. It's been real, Smartsheeters!

Answers

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/06/21 Answer ✓

If you're savvy with the Smartsheet API, you could use an automation service like Power Automate or AutomationAnywhere or Zapier to trigger a change to Smartsheet based on the Jira "issue" leaving the Jira project. From my knowledge, this would have to be done with the API since those Automation tools typically don't include an action for "delete a row". I could help you out if you'd like but it'd be some dev work. Pro bono. Trying to build a SS consulting side hustle!

Love,

• Kerri S
    Kerri S ✭✭
    edited 12/07/21

Hi Brett - Thanks for getting back to me. I'd be interested in the help, but don't see we have any of the tools you mentioned above licenses in our Jira instance. How could this work without that? thank you!

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Kerri. They aren't tools that are a part of Jira - they're services that connect to Jira and a myriad of other apps & services (including Smartsheet). Basically, each "automation" service offers a simple workflow: "If something happens in App#1, then do something else in App#2." So for your use case, it'd be "When a Jira issue is moved from a particular project in Jira, then remove the row in Smartsheet". Does that make sense?

For many users that utilize Microsoft Office, Microsoft's automation service "Power Automate" likely comes with your existing M365 subscription. You can try and sign in here and see if it works for you when you sign in using your Microsoft account: https://flow.microsoft.com/ 

Then what you'd want to do is create a "flow" that'll utilize one user's Jira account and one user's Smartsheet account (so you'd need access to credentials of at least one user from each service, is what I'm saying), and the flow could be set up from there.

If you'd like, shoot me an email at brettwyrick@outlook.com and I can walk you through this a bit more, have a call, etc. if you'd be keen to.

Thanks,

Brett

Love,

• Kerri S
    Kerri S ✭✭

Hi Brett,

I've send you 2 messages, but get the following returned - Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

brettwyrick@outlookcom

Your message wasn't delivered because the recipient's mailbox is undergoing maintenance and can't accept messages now. Please try resending the message later.

• Brett Wyrick
    Brett Wyrick ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Kerri. Not sure exactly, but the email address you've pasted above is missing the "." for "outlook.com". Weird stuff, try again? And if it continues not to work, I suppose try brettwyrick@gmail.com. ¯\(ツ)

Love,