Duration default values in Forms

I'm attempting to add a default value of 1 day to my forms for entering tasks. If I put in "1" it comes into the sheet as "True". If I put in "1d" it comes into the sheet as text and not a number the column recognizes. Either way I'm trying to have as few entry lines as possible for end users but also not get a lot of red health status when fields are empty. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Good luck, please let me know how it goes!

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

I suspect because Duration, Start, Finish are all special column types it may not work the way you are hoping.

It might not work for your situation, but perhaps you can require Start and Finish dates be entered on the form. It will default to 1 day correctly if they enter a finish date that occurs before the start date. Otherwise it will be 1 if they are the same and it will be correct if the dates are not the same.

I hope that helps some.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• Sara Campbell
    Sara Campbell ✭✭✭✭

Thank you - that was my fear. we are using it as a support log type of entry so we were trying to limit the entry fields and are getting lots of date errors too b/c you either have to put in the 0 before the month or use the picker.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I know some people might shake their heads at this.... .BUT

If you want to really think outside the box and find a way that works for you, you might see if something like this works.

• Make a sheet that is not a project just a grid that has all the same fields.
    • Have them fill out a form for that entry sheet.
    • When new rows are added, move those rows into your project sheet.

I cannot promise this will work BUT, it might be worth trying if it's a large enough deal on your side. Even if you don't get the Duration to work, you might be able to on the entry sheet, have the finish filled in as Start + 1 or just equal (Finish = Start).

Let me know if you do try that.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

• Sara Campbell
    Sara Campbell ✭✭✭✭

This might work if I set up the entry sheet with a non "project" template... hmmm - I'll try it! I like outside boxes :D

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Good luck, please let me know how it goes!

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.