How to count the status column?

Hello, i am trying to quantify how many Green, and How many Gray rows i have. Im having trouble with the formulas. can anyone assist.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Khanambano try these. Believe it or not, the actual value of the cell is the color name, the circle symbol is just an overlay built into the column type.

=COUNTIF(Status:Status, "Green")

=COUNTIF(Status:Status, "Gray")

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Hi Jeff, thank you so much for replying so quickly. the issue is, i have to reflect the results on a dashboard so i am using a tracking sheet. I have to reference the original sheet (where the status is) and then count the green or gray. i'll show you what i found online.

=COUNTIF({OACM Fire Jobs Tracker Range 3}, (Status: [Column8]14Status, "Green"))

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ok no idea what's happening here:  (Status: [Column8]14Status, "Green"))

But since you're doing this from a remote sheet...

Once you start typing =COUNTIF( you'll see Smartsheet's popup helper screen. Click on Reference Another Sheet, and select the sheet where your status column is. Click on the column header for the Status column to select the entire column, and click OK. Smartsheet adds the range into the formula:

=COUNTIF({OACM Fire Jobs Tracker Range#}

Next, all you have to do is add a comma and the value you want to count:

=COUNTIF({OACM Fire Jobs Tracker Range#}, "Green")

That's it.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• This is exactly what i typed in =COUNTIF({OACM Fire Jobs Tracker Range 7}, "Gray") and i get a blank cell back. when there are 2 grays and 18 greens in the sheet.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Khanambano

You are sure you've selected the entire Status column for the {OACM Fire Jobs Tracker Range 7} range?

It's odd that you get a blank cell as a result. You should get a 0 if it's just not finding the Gray cells.

Can you add a temporary column to OACM Fire Jobs Tracker sheet, and use =COUNTIF(Status:Status, "Gray") to make sure it works? That may tell us if it's an issue with the range.

Another thing to check - click on a cell in the Status column, and then click the drop down button, and make sure that Gray is spelled that way and not "Grey" with an "e"; I don't know if this might change with regional settings or not.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman