Can I create a Column Formula which automatically applies text in a Parent Row to the Child Rows?

When rows move into my sheet, I use them as parent rows for my projects. I want to have a column formula which automatically pulls in data from the parent row to its child rows. I've tried putting =PARENT() into a child row but it makes all cells in that column empty when I convert it to a Column Formula.

Any assistance would be hugely appreciated - I'm new to Smartsheet forumlas, I've been using Automation as a workaround but this has limitations.

Tags:

Answers

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Dayle

Is this what you are looking to do?

If so, the Formula in the col Parent Info would be:

=PARENT([Info from Parent]@row)

I hope that helps. If it's not what you are looking for, please let me know.

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

• Hi Kevin, yes this is pretty much what I'm trying to do but the data will be pulled into the same column. I tried your formula but when I convert it into a column formula, all cells in that column become blank.

The reason why I wanted it to be a column formula is so it automates the formula when new rows are added.

• Kevin Smith
    Kevin Smith ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am sorry, I have been out sick but in looking at this further, I would need to see more of your sheet and the formula(s) you are using. It should be possible but I can't pinpoint the issue without a bit more information. Please send what you can if possible.

Thank you

Thank you,

Kevin

Happy to help if I can.

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!