Conversation notifications

When I @mention myself from a second account I get a notification in Smartsheet and by email. If I post a subsequent conversation message without an @mention then I don't get any notification. How do people keep up with conversation threads with no notifications without explicit @mentions? I am used to threads in Slack where, once you tag someone, they get notified for every subsequent message in that thread.

I wondered about using the "insert latest comment column" tag and having a notification automation based on that, but it still wouldn't naturally bring team members who get mentioned into the notification group. You'd need another column to capture who wants to get notifications.

Is this the best way forward? What do other people do?

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/01/22 Answer ✓

Ok so here's how I believe this works:

Someone @ mentions you in a comment: Notified

Someone replies to the comment in which you're @ mentioned: Notified

Someone replies to comment you create even with no @ mention: Notified

Someone adds a new comment on that row without @ mentioning you: Not notified

Someone replies to someone else's comment that you're not @ mentioned in: Not notified

I think it's set up this way so that you don't get blown up by notifications if two people are having an endless comment thread on a row you've commented on before, unless one of them @'s you.

If you want to be notified about every new comment, you can create an automation rule that would do that.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers