Why Can't Gantt Charts Have A Formula In The Start/End Date Columns?

I'm trying to create a Gantt Chart on a document where the End Date field is a column formula; it being a formula is pretty much non-negotiable. The formula reports a date from the 'Requested Due Date' column unless a new date is provided in the 'Extended Due Date' column. This is done to ensure that the person using the sheet can adjust the date without deleting the original requested date, which will be used later in an unrelated metadata calculation for how long tasks get delayed on average. The Start Date column is similar, being backdated from the 'Requested Due Date' based on the item type.

The issue I'm finding is that I cannot select the two Start and End Date columns because they're formula columns. I've read on the forums that you can't use formulas if dependencies are enabled, but I don't have dependencies enabled and I still can't do it. I've also read elsewhere here that you just can't do it at all and frankly don't know what to think of this.

More than anything, I'm wondering why this is even a limitation in the first place. It can do it; I know because I tricked it into doing it on this very document. I set the Start and End Dates to their corresponding columns before I made them column formulas. the result was a Gantt Chart with dynamic End Dates [meaning non-static, not a reference to Dynamic view, which we're not using].

I would be satisfied with this workaround, but now I can't open the Gantt Project Settings without the document having a fit and throwing them away, forcing me to recreate them from scratch using this same process and leaving the document in a broken state until it's fixed. This would be fine enough [if infuriating], the formulas are not complicated, were it not for the fact that the primary user of this document is not smartsheet savvy in the least and would have trouble fixing this, thus requiring somebody else to be called in to fix it on the fly. They would be an admin on this document, so they necessarily have access to the Gantt Project Settings and possibly even a reason to open them, so I can't just lock them out to prevent them from accidentally ruining it. Outside of a dire warning to never ever ever so much as look at the Gantt Project Settings [which would be sending entirely the wrong message], I see no workarounds for this. Does anybody know of one I've not considered?

Again though, more than anything I'm wondering why on earth this is even a problem to begin with. It can do it, so the decision to prevent it seems entirely arbitrary. Any idea Why? Even if there's no workaround, I just need to know why, this has been eating at me for days now.

-- N.G.F

Tags:

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 09/16/22 Answer ✓

Hi @Nik Fuentes

As you've found, currently Gantt View cannot identify date columns as a Date type of column when they have a Column Formula set.

In the meantime, after you've applied the formula as a Column Formula (so it populates all rows), you should be able to change both columns back to having Cell Formulas. Then the column types can be recognized as a Date type of column and can be selected in the Gantt view.

Since your column has updated all rows with the formula, it will auto-populate the formula into newly rows if they are inserted:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

(See: Use or Override Automatic Formatting and Formula Autofill)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 09/16/22 Answer ✓

Hi @Nik Fuentes

As you've found, currently Gantt View cannot identify date columns as a Date type of column when they have a Column Formula set.

In the meantime, after you've applied the formula as a Column Formula (so it populates all rows), you should be able to change both columns back to having Cell Formulas. Then the column types can be recognized as a Date type of column and can be selected in the Gantt view.

Since your column has updated all rows with the formula, it will auto-populate the formula into newly rows if they are inserted:

• Directly between two others that contain the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the topmost of the sheet if it’s above two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • At the bottommost of the sheet if it’s below two rows that have the same formula in adjacent cells.
    • Above or below a single row that is between blank rows and has formulas.

(See: Use or Override Automatic Formatting and Formula Autofill)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the help @Genevieve P., that did work.

As a friendly note, you should pass on to whom it may concern that the 'no column formulas in date columns for Gantt Charts' thing should really be spelled out somewhere in the Help & Learning section for Gantt Charts. It should say something like "You can view any sheet or report that contains at least two [non-formula column] date columns in Gantt View," or something like that. if this is a fundamental restriction on the Gantt view, this information should be readily available.

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can create a report in Gantt view and that allows you to select formula-driven dates.

• ViolaH
    ViolaH ✭✭

What' s this status of this issue @Genevieve P. ?

• Hi @ViolaH

Column Formula type of columns are not able to be selected as Date columns for a Gantt view in a Sheet.

I've submitted a request to the Help Center team as Nik suggested to update the verbiage in the Help Article for Gantt charts.

Please submit your feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Brent Allen
    Brent Allen ✭✭✭

In my recent experience, once you switch the column from Column formula to Cell formula, and change the settings of the Gantt dates to your derived columns, it changes all values to static. The formulas in rows with existing data are no longer 'live', nor are any new rows of data added.

• I'm having this same issue. I'm using a sheet to log all our project requests. The Start date is static, then we want to use formula to calculate the estimated end date of the project based on the number of weeks we think the project is going to take. We want to use the gantt chart to visually see how many projects we have in flight or that overlap each other. But I can't get the gantt view to accept the calculated end date. We get new requests for projects all the time, so changing to and from static dates really isn't feasible.

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No problem! Glad it worked for you.

• Hi, I'm just chiming in to say that this is a problem for us, too. It's kind of unbelievable to me that it's not possible to use a Date column with a Column Formula in a Sheet's Gantt view, especially since it does work with formulas in the Date column.

There's a lot you can do in Sheets that can't be done in Reports, so while that's sort of a workaround, this remains a significant gap in desired functionality for us. I'm struggling to explain to my users how Smartsheet cannot do something that seems so straightforward. It's making me feel very much not-smart.