Registration Form w/ Limited Availability

Hello Smartsheets Friends,

I am building out a registration form for an event our company will be hosting. The form will be going out to our dealer base which is in the thousands. This event will have limited availability. If the availability is limited to the first 100 dealers that say yes, they will attend the event. Is there a way for us to notify dealers 101 - 1000 that say yes they are going to attend that the event if full? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Best Answer

• Jim B
    Jim B ✭✭✭
    edited 03/16/23 Answer ✓

Hello,

Try this...

You will need to add an Auto Number column to your sheet to count incoming responses and make sure you capture your dealers' emails in a defined contacts field. Add a checkbox field for "Responded" too. Obviously you don't want to include this on the form.

You can then set up an Automation to run when new rows are added and any field changes with a filter condition that sends a 'You're in!" message (aka "Alert someone.....") to the email in the contact field where the Auto Number is less than 100 and another one for "Sorry we're full" where the Auto Number is greater than 100.

Add a second step to your Automations to change the cell value in the "Responded" field to checked when the Automations runs on newly added rows.

Add a second filter so that the Automations only run on rows where "Responded" is unchecked. That way you won't end up messaging all your dealers every time a new response arrives on the form.

Jim

Answers

• Jim B
    Jim B ✭✭✭
    edited 03/16/23 Answer ✓

Hello,

Try this...

You will need to add an Auto Number column to your sheet to count incoming responses and make sure you capture your dealers' emails in a defined contacts field. Add a checkbox field for "Responded" too. Obviously you don't want to include this on the form.

You can then set up an Automation to run when new rows are added and any field changes with a filter condition that sends a 'You're in!" message (aka "Alert someone.....") to the email in the contact field where the Auto Number is less than 100 and another one for "Sorry we're full" where the Auto Number is greater than 100.

Add a second step to your Automations to change the cell value in the "Responded" field to checked when the Automations runs on newly added rows.

Add a second filter so that the Automations only run on rows where "Responded" is unchecked. That way you won't end up messaging all your dealers every time a new response arrives on the form.

Jim

• @Jim B

I have a follow up question to your solution to my question on registering for an event through a form w/ limited availability. I found out that there are only 30 seats available. On the form we ask if a dealer is planning on attending the event ("yes" or "no"). That said, I need to accept the first 30 dealers that respond "yes" they plan on coming to the event. Any suggestion on how you would update your suggested automation?

• Jim B
    Jim B ✭✭✭

Hi Anthony,

I'm not sure that I fully understand the question but it sounds like you would just need to adjust the filter so that the first 30 are accepted and the rest not?

You can add Condition branches to set up an 'If Autonum < 30 then "You're in!, Otherwise "Full, sorry"

If you mean, "how do I message only dealers that respond 'Yes'?" then you can just add in another filter at your first condition to not message anyone that answers 'No'.

Jim

• @Joe B

Thank you for getting back to me. So would the Automation look like this for the first 30 dealers that selected "Yes" they will attended the event?

Then for the dealers that selected "Yes" they will attend, but were greater than 30 would the automation look like this?

• JDallas
    JDallas ✭✭

Oh boy... I want to try this but I think I need some photos or a video...