Question about Dashboard/Sheet Permissions

Is there a way to set the view access to a certain domain? I only see a way to add individual users and groups, but would like a way for anyone who logins in with a specific domain to be able to view.

In Smartsheet Dynamic View, there's an awesome permission setting that allows you to grant access to anyone who's email matches a specified domain name. That way anyone at that company can access and you don't need to add each individual user. Is there a similar setting for Dashboards?

Tags:

Answers

• Sing C
    Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JPJPJP,

One option could be to publish your dashboard:

Set access control to "only available to users in the owner's account" and make the publish link available

Let me know if that does the trick.

✅ If my comment addresses your query, please support the Community by marking it as an Accepted Answer. This helps others find the solutions like yours more quickly. I would also be grateful for your "Insightful" or "Vote Up".

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Dayforce

LinkedIn

• JPJPJP
    JPJPJP ✭✭✭✭

But wouldn't the users need to be existing already? For example, I'm sharing this dashboard with a client company and their team has people coming and going all the time, so it would be a pain to manually add them. The way Smartsheet Dynamic View does it is exactly what I'm looking for dashboards (setting the customer's domain name, so that any signed in user with that domain can access the dashboard and anyone who doesn't can't except my internal admin team.

• Sing C
    Sing C ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@JPJPJP For external permissions, the solution I suggested won't work because "user's own account" is anyone in your corporate domain. I'm not aware of an option to add permissions by domain in the core product.

The first option from my earlier screenshot would work but I would advise against that depending on the sensitivity/privacy of the information the dashboard contains. However, domain-wide access also shares a similar privacy risk. Having the ability to let everyone at acme.com view a dashboard doesn't necessarily mean they need to be able to view it.

Other options to consider:

• Giving permission to a distribution list and granting Smartsheet permission to that distribution list. It doesn't remove the maintenance question, because you're updating a DL rather than Smartsheet permissioning but does have scaling advantages. If you need to grant access to multiple assets, you're not managing the same list of names in each Smartsheet asset, just permissioning the DL and managing that one DL.
    • Depending on the nature of the interaction with your client company, you could publish the dashboard onto a federated Teams site or SharePoint site. We work with client companies as part of our core business and our implementation teams setup project-specific, federated Teams sites and permissioning to those Teams sites are managed based on "need to know" about the specific project.

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Dayforce

LinkedIn