Approval Reminder

d.hickey
d.hickey ✭✭
edited 06/14/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to set up something to remind an approver if they have any outstanding approvals they need to approve or deny. Is there a way to set that up with a workflow that doesnt involve running the workflow for every single cell every day? Im worried that a workflow that has to examine 100s of thousands of cells in my smartsheet might get bogged down after a while due to 100s of 1000s of new rows from each approval. Is there a way to run a workflow daily once triggered with a termination condition? Is there a strategy to limit the number of cells that are triggered so in a years time it wont be bogged down with thousands of workflow triggers at once?

Answers

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well you don't have to worry about the 100's of thousands of cells as that will be well above the limit of a sheet. Each sheet has a cell limit of 100,000. Also, you can set conditions on which an automation runs. Make it to where its looking at the approval column for each row to see if it has been either approved or denied and send an update request to the approver.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• will a workflow checking 1000s of cells in bog it down? In a year or so there will be a 10-20k orders so would a workflow checking 10-20k approvals in the approval column crash the workflow?

• Kleerfyre
    Kleerfyre ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, it won't. If its trigger to run is a specific time of day, then it will run at that time and will go through and trigger on the rows that meet the conditions you have set. They might not all get their notifications right at that exact time, but within 10 or so minutes they will get the notification. If you have it set to trigger as soon as a certain thing happens, then it will only trigger then and run on those random items that trigger it. I have automations that run everyday on sheets that have several thousand lines and I never have any issues with them.

Jonathan Sanders, CSM

"Change is always scary because it is unknown, but facing the unknown is what makes us stronger."

• Helena P.
    Helena P. ✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/23/24

HI all, is there a way to create a reminder of already existing/ sent approval request? I can't see the response here.