Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Searching Cell History

Options

Smartsheet should allow searching cell history within a sheet and across sheets. In our typical task list and project sheets, we have a column titled notes and we keep row updates in the cells. Each update overwrites prior notes and there is no way to search other than the Activity Log. Otherwise, we have to right click and scroll through history. We have no way over conveniently searching for cell history to manage my tasks and projects. Activity Log is not a good option because of the short 90-day duration and not knowing the dates notes were made.

7 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Gary Hammond
    Options

I use row comments pervasively. I overwrite prior row comments with each new update.

• Gary Hammond
    Options

If you mean Conversations, I sometimes use for detailed notes that are more than a few lines for a notes update.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/28/23
    Options

I did mean Conversations. Sorry. Used to be called "Comments", and I am still using the old verbiage.

But row conversations will give you that easier to read/search history of any notes you have to make on each row.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Another team makes changes to their releases constantly. I am left with #NO MATCH on my sheets as a result. Then I have to go find these changes. There are so many changes it takes a while. I would like the ability to search the activity log for a specific row # (and the user that made the change. I would then be able to access the part of the log relevant to that change. This is an ongoing battle for me.

Sherry Fox

Business System Data Analyst

Del-Air Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Gary Hammond
    Options

I am surprised more customers are not interested in being able to search cell history. Like any database, you should be able to search the database. In all of my task lists and projects I have a column titled "notes" and instead of adding notes cumulatively I overwrite notes because I am able to right click and view prior entries via cell history. The issue is that I cannot search cell history. The suggestion of using conversations does work but you have an extra step in entering regular updates.