Formula to calculate and copy dates based on form submissions and standard timeframes

Options

I am very new to Smartsheet and I am struggling to find the right formula for a sheet. I am working on a access sheet linked to a form. Different access categories have standard timeframes, for others, the person submitting the form will have to indicate a specific date. I was planning to have a column where to have all the dates under control and planned to use the IF function, let's call it the date summary column. For example, if in a row the Demo account is selected I want to have 30 days added to the submission form to show up to the date summary column, if a contributor account is selected and the date is sent by the person requesting the access, I want that date copied to the date summary column, if the select access is C, I want to get a date that is 8 months ahead the submission date.

This is what I came up so far but, as you might have guessed already is not working:

=IF([Category]@row = "Demo account", DATE([Submission]@row) + 30

Other things to consider:

• I already set up a column called "Submisison" that automatically registers the date and time of a request
  • There will be multiple dates, including extension request, so ideally I would need a formula that can be adapted to different cells

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The DATE function expects you to supply years, months, and days separated by commas, like (DATE(24,1,1). It is not expecting a date. If your Submission column contains a date (which it will if this is the system generated created date) then all you need is:

=IF(Category@row = "Demo account", Submission@row + 30)

To extend this for your other windows, you can add those in the value-if-false location of the first IF, remembering to close the parentheses for them all at the end.

=IF(Category@row = "Demo account", Submission@row + 30,

IF(Category@row = "C", Submission@row + 243,

IF(Category@row = "Contributor account", Submission@row

)))

I have used 243 days for 8 months as it is easier than adding 8 months. If you need to be more precise, let me know and I will share a formula for adding exact months.

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/28/24
    Options

@KPH To piggy back off this, what if you only want to count business days? That's the issue I'm currently running in to!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @KPH!

For some reason it wasn't working before but now it is…thanks for the assist!

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Great! Glad I could (sort of) help 🙂

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!