Get Started

Length and/or Character validation within a Form

Options

Comments

• jacquedale
    jacquedale ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/06/24
    Options

Ok, thank you @Andrée Starå . That was specifically what I was submitting my suggestions for. It allows you to choose how many lines you want in a multi-line text box. But the selection does not change anything it is a "non-functioning" function.

Jacque Smith

Project Controls, MSR-FSR

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/06/24
    Options

@jacquedale

Excellent!

Happy to help!

I missed that I was answering an enhancement request.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• MitchM
    MitchM ✭✭
    Options

Agree with this request and the need to have this added as a standard feature.

• Liz W
    Options

Add my vote! We use account numbers in XXXXXXXXX-XXXXX format and being able to restrict entry to that format would solve a lot of headaches!

• Megan_ClavieParker
    Options

I came here to make the same suggestion. I'd like to be able to select a character limit for text fields in a form. I have a form with Employee ID and Cost Center fields, and currently no way to limit the entries to the right character length. It would really boost the data validation for these fields.

• Megan_ClavieParker
    edited 06/06/24
    Options

Yes please. This would help validate form entries for fields such as Employee ID and Cost Center, that have fixed lengths.

• Megan_ClavieParker
    edited 06/06/24
    Options

Allow Form creator to select allowable range for entries in numeric Form fields (custom validation). If a number is entered outside the allowable range, show an error message and don't allow the form to be submitted.

I have a form that requires entering the FTE (Full Time Equivalent) value for a current employee (the form is for changing this, so it's two fields - current state and requested future state). An employee can never be more than 1 FTE, so I want to limit the entries to be greater than zero and less than or equal to 1. There are many use cases where a custom allowable range would be needed.

My current "workaround" is help text informing the user of the limits, but it does not prevent them from submitting the form with invalid data.

• gregthomas
    Options

Another vote for this capability. Even if the sheet can ultimately hold 4,000 characters in a cell, if we could limit that number in a form through the form's validation settings, that would be amazing.

• speck
    Options

As so many others have said, there are a number of systems that my team uses values that come in through SmartSheet forms to search or populate. Expanding the validation option of form entries to include formatting, character limit, etc. would make my life so much easier.

• Dan Y
    Dan Y ✭✭✭
    Options

Often times, people will forget a number when inputting 9 digit IDs. Being able to require a specific length would be extremely helpful for me.

• meagans
    meagans ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Piggybacking off of this Community post I found:

We have a strong need for character limits in forms and Dynamic View submissions. Any workaround or added functionality would be amazing to limit the wordiness of user inputs!

Meagan Struman ⚡️

• A Rose
    A Rose ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Character Masking would solve both Character limit and Character type,

In some platforms, you can add cell masking in the Advanced field section, such as;

Enter # for digits and * for letters,
    So, if you want to collect an Employee ID # in this format: ABC3456, It'd be:

***####

This would restrict the # of characters as well as the character type, (In this example, it's 7 characters, of which the first 3 are letters and the last 4 are numbers).

Thank you!

• AWentz
    AWentz ✭✭
    Options

We just started using Smartsheet and are surprised that there isn't functionality for character limits. It's very disappointing when advertising this solution as an 'Enterprise plan' and not having basic functionality for field length and even character type/format as noted on some comments above.

1. Control Center has a limit with Sheet names (50 character) and when concatenating the project name with Sheet name, our project managers need to ensure the project names are within a specific character length or the names will be cut off!
    2. It seems this has been asked/mentioned previously on several posts….

3. It feels like the need is there and has been for some time after reading through all the comments. Please consider this enhancement.

• Simon.Amos
    Options

Another vote for this capability. I desperately need to limit the characters to ensure the PDF form does not shrink the size of the font to crow bar the text in.

• Anais
    Anais
    edited 07/15/24
    Options

I'm creating a form that requires putting a limited number on zip codes, years, phone numbers, and possibly routing numbers. It would be nice to have a feature where the number wouldn't be more/less than a certain amount. Such as, an employee can't put more than 100% on their form; if they only need to write the year, it wouldn't be able to exceed the current year and can only go so far back in time; routing numbers, zip codes, and phone numbers only have limited amount of numbers. This would help in keeping track, and not making individuals have to sign the form twice because of a formula setup that would send an email saying they need to do it again because the number is completed incorrectly.