Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Hiding fields when a card is being edited

Jeff Ballard
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is there a way to hide some fields so they do not show when a card is being edited?  I have put the sheet in the grid view and hidden the columns but they still show up in the card view when I am editing a card.

Tags:

Comments

• Hello Jeff,

There isn't a way to securely hide data from users shared on the sheet. All data (even hidden column data) will appear on the card if users with Editor permission or higher click the down arrow on a card and select Edit.

I'll get your vote down for this type of functionality on our enhancement request list for further consideration by our Product team.

• Brendon McHugh
    edited 02/22/17

+1 on this feature.

In card view I only want to input a few fields and am constantly tab'ing through others. Having the ability to control what's seen in Card View would be awesome.

Is there a feature voting system for Smartsheet? Uservoice?

• Hi Brendon,

Votes are gathered through a few channels, but we don't use a third party voting/roadmap software. Votes are gathered by employees and passed to our Product team for further consideration.

I've definitely got your vote down for this feature—Going forward, the best channel for submitting enhancement request votes is via the contact form: https://help.smartsheet.com/contact

This enhancement request is specifically to securely hide data so that others can't see it at all, but you CAN control the fields that appear on the cards: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2449494-card-view-creating-editing-and-sharing-cards#fields

• You have my "Strong" vote for this also.

I am hiding columns that I am using for SUMs and Counts on other columns.

Great to hide those from users (customers) in grid view. Why would they be shown in Card view?

This is really hampering my plan to then roll these totals up to a SmartSheet Site.  :|

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

khuntington,

To best add your vote, use the Product Enhancement Request link on the right of this page. That goes straight into their system for counting, as opposed to here in the Community where it may or may not be seen by the right people.

Craig

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Two years later ... still need this feature. I have a team lead ready to move to another product because the Card View is too complicated for his team ... 

• Jeff Ballard
    edited 12/04/19

Three years later... still need this feature sad. It does not even need to be a secure way to hide the fields, just the ability to hide them; like we can hide columns in grid view.

This discussion has been closed.