Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Drop down list data from column in another sheet

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Jamie, there are no near term plan to inplement this feature but you can see what we are working on by taking a look at our product roadmap: https://www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

While this feature is not built into Smartsheet it IS possible to do this using Azuqua, a third party app that is intergrated with Smartsheet. Here's more information on Azuqua: https://azuqua.com/integrate-smartsheet

• Jamie Cope
    edited 11/25/15

Hi Travis.

Thanks for providing the roadmap. I am surprised that such an apparently strongly desired feature is not being looked at. Lookups for dropdown menus would seem to be a great feature.

As for Azuqua - are you really suggesting I implement a third party app that costs five times the price of smartsheet per month to solve this issue?

• This is a critical feature for us.  We are going to revert our account to free and use other tools instead, and wait for when you have this feature finally added to reconsider SmartSheet.  FWIW.

• Christian Wells
    edited 01/14/16

I'll add a vote for this as well.  Using a list from another sheet will enable a greater ability for relational interogation of data.

My Additional request would be that if we link a cell in sheet B to a master list in Sheet A..

If we then have a WebForm on Sheet B the same list is displayed for selection in the webform aswell. Hopefully that makes sense..

I can see a master list then having a '1 to many' Child list enabling A wide range of functions... OR just a validate list in other sheets.....

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks for the feedback Christian! I have added your vote for this functionality. 

• Travis, Good, and when do you add the functionnality to our votes ... ;-)

• Cy Cloa
    Cy Cloa
    edited 04/30/16

This feature, as well as VLOOKUP, MATCH, INDEX, etc have been asked for and promissed over a long period of time.

We all understand prioritizing feature development but these are fundamental to the very notion of a spreadsheet type product.  

This thread is almost a year old 

The features were promised here 

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/vlookup-function

but the road map here https://www.smartsheet.com/product-roadmap

does not even mention them !!!

That does not inspire confidence.

Apart from being fundamental, there have been numerous requests and vote ups for these features

Right now I'm evaluating moving from Google Sheets to Smartsheet for better Project Management and Time Tracking.  

However, the evaluation is turning out to a balance between enhancing the Google Sheets for Resource calculations vs re-inventing workarounds to missing fundamentals

Clearly there are serious roadblocks to implement these features but SS can go some way.  E.g. Providing generic lists similar to Contacts, with/out additional fields instead of email addresses.

Sorry to be harsh but at this point, one needs more than platitudes

Cy

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Cy,

Thanks for the post! Smartsheet receives thousands of feature requests a month from users from multiple sources - including the Community. There are many factors we take into account when deciding what to implement and while customer suggestions are a major factor - it is not the only one.

Generally, we do not promise features will be developed. While we may intend to implement a feature or functionality, there are factors which may interfere the timeline. 

I have mentioned in other threads that we are working on a new formula engine and VLOOKUP will likely be part of that.  I do not have a timeframe for this release but know it is something we are actively working on.

As for the request in this discussion (dropdown lists taken from a column in another sheet), there are third party apps that can do this today in Smartsheet (Azuqua) and I will add your vote for adding this to the core functionality of Smartsheet.

Thanks again for the feedback and let me know if you have any questions.

• JamesR
    JamesR ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I to would like Smartsheets to be as powerfull as Excel in regards to the calculations available. However we must remember how long Excel has been around and how it has developed in the years (I am old enought to remember when everybody complained that it was not as powerful as Lotus 123 - whats that you say).

The key thing here is know your products strengths and weaknesses and design your sheet accordingly.  Some imaginitive out of the box use if COUNTIF, COUNTIFS, SUMIF and SUMIFS can produce some of the things you might want to use other not available functions for.

Planning and design is the key to a successful sheet.

Regarding Dropdown lists, Travis is right tat there are other apps out there that may be useful to you as an add on to your system.  One I believe has hugh potential in working with/alongside Smartsheet is Appsheet and its much more affordable than Azuqua.

Smartsheet are moving in the right direction but a bit more balance between new bling and improved nitty gritty may calm the frustration of some of our users.

Keep on designing guys its better than the alternatives. Wink

• Hi, I'm new to Smartsheet and was looking for the feature being talked about here, i.e. to have a dropdown list where items in the list are dynamically pulled from a range I could set up on a separate sheet. Can anyone tell me if there's any update on this? Is this feature request still being considered or is it being worked on? Is there a timeframe? 

Thank you,

Sean

• Ricardo Saroyan-James
    edited 10/12/16

I need this too.  It is the major thing stopping me migrating our Project Task and Issue Management system from Excel to Smartsheet...

• This is a feature that would be useful for me as well. 

• To say this would be "useful" clearly underestimates the power it would provide..... +1 from me.... 

• Would also love this. It would be very very useful for multiple use cases.

This discussion has been closed.