Date Last Updated?

Options

Is there a formula I can use that would show the last date that a specific column was updated? For instance, when someone checks the checkbox column, could I have a formula in another column that would reflect the date the checkbox was checked?  It wouldn't work to have a formula that showed when the entire row was last modified as we add notes to a row even after the checkbox has been checked. However, if there is a formula I could use to show me the date a specific column or cell was last updated (not row), that would be great.  Thanks!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no way to access the cell history (date or contents) from the GUI. There is also no way in the GUI to capture a fixed date that won't change.

For small numbers of sheets needing this functionality, I use Zapier. See my post here on how it works.

http://ronin-global.com/2016/12/11/smartsheet-fixed-date-upon-completion/

Craig

• Darren McCrea
    Options

Thanks Craig.   This seems like a pretty basic function that SmartSheet could incorporate fairly easily.  I took a look at your post and will try to sign up for Zapier and follow your tutorial when I find a few hours of spare time.  This will probably never happen, but I appreciate the response.   Thanks again, Darren

• Robert S.
    Robert S. Employee
    Options

Hello Darren,

Thanks for the question. Craig is correct that this feature doesn't currently exist, and that using an integration as a workaround may be able to solve this need in the meantime.

I recommend submitting this to our Enhancement Request list by using the "Submit Product Enhancement Request" link here, or from the "Quick Links" section to the right.

• Darren McCrea
    Options

Thanks Robert.    I did submit an enhancement request back in August of 2016.  Was just hoping something had changed in the last 16 months.   :)

• Jack Kiperman
    Options

This would be very helpful. 

• Ramsay Zaki
    Ramsay Zaki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Agreed that this would be very useful. Initially I was wanting a formula to do this but now that Smartsheet has Automation, if they would allow us to have an "update a cell value" Action as part of automation, that would be an even better way to solve this.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use Microsoft Flow to solve these shortcomings.

• Gene Jumbeck
    Options

Having the ability to access the date a cell was updated would be a fantastic feature, allowing for the ability to set dates to trigger reminders. We have a process where we ask an approver to respond within 48 hours. If we could access the date a field was changed to "submitted" we could generate a reminder if an approver missed the due date.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!