New Formulas Feature: Reference Data from Other Sheets!

Shaine Greenwood
Shaine Greenwood Employee
edited 02/23/19 in General Announcements

You can now reference data from other sheets in formulas!

Create a master lookup table sheet and use VLOOKUP to find data on another sheet.

More information on this new feature is available in our help center: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476606-formulas-reference-data-from-other-sheets

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great addition to the Smartsheet platform.

Great job!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 02/06/18

Hi Andrée,

Glad you're enjoying the new feature!

On another note, it looks like our Web team fixed that issue where you weren't receiving community notification emails. You may get a few all at once (if you haven't already), I've been told it can take a while for our system to go through the backlog and send the emails.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Shaine,

Yes it seems like it works again because i got a very long e-mail.

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• This will have the biggest impact on my ability to choose smartsheet for SO MUCH of my structured data needs!   FINALLY

• Sam COSDENT
    Sam COSDENT ✭✭✭

Finally this function has arrived. Great work guys. winkyes

• Hello, in terms of formulas slowing down sheets at times, would this vlookup formula be better to use rather than a long nested If formula (which we are currently using for prices)?

• Also a question, can you have a cell reference instead of a text value as the search value?

for example instead of the example below:

=VLOOKUP("T-Shirt", [Clothing Item]1:Stock3, 2, false)

change to

=VLOOKUP([Product]1, [Clothing Item]1:Stock3, 2, false)

where [Product]1 is a column in the current sheet (not the look up sheet) as the products will change from line to line but the formula could still look up the stock code or price from the vlookup sheet regardless of the data in the [Product]1 column

Thanks!

• Hi Lou,

Yes, you can definitely use a reference as the lookup value.

Regarding performance, depending on the particular use case VLOOKUP may be faster than nested IFs. In any case it will typically be easier to understand and maintain, especially if your table has more than a few values. You may like to test it out to determine if you'd like to switch over.

Regards,

Daniel

• Another question, is it possible to have a sheet reference of a referenced cell with the same name?

I am trying to create a master sheet that links data from job sheets created from a template when you input the job number. I see it going something like this:

Master sheet with formula copied down in [Job Name] or column2

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([job number]1,{[job number]1},2),"")

As a new job sheet was created from a template, a generic whole sheet reference is created alongside and named as the corresponding job number

So when you input the new job number in the first column[job number] on the master sheet, the formula in [job name] references the desired column(2) of the sheet referenced with the same name as the referenced cell(job number).

The IFERROR being there in order to keep all the cells displaying #invalid ref when a job number reference was not available

Thanks