Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Notification/Reminder for Past Due Task

Dan Sanderson
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I have reviewed the many questions asked previously by others regarding Notifications and Reminders as relating to dates and I am either not understanding them or they are different enough from my application that I don't feel the solution is applicable.

I am simply attempting to send an e-mail to an individual whenever a Task becomes Past Due and is not complete. After reviewing the previous discussions, it seems that I need to do this with a "Reminder". However, if using the reminder, I can not (or don't know how) to set it to send a reminder only when the "Done" box is not checked..

If using a notification, it only seems to take place when a physical change is made to the sheet. However, I need it to take place based upon the actual date.

Comments

• I would make another Column with a formula: 0 IF the Due Date is still valid and 1 IF Due Date is in the past. 

Then create a notification for, when there is a change in the column to 1, it sends out an automated notification with the text you specify to the individual. You would also need a column where the one responsible for the task is specified, so you can automatically send the meail to him.

Kind regards

Arnis

• Not sure if you resolved this or not but you can add a notification that will allow for that. It is a little long winded but it works if something goes past due and there is not a box checked. 

When Task Due date changes to Blank - this is a requirement and drops down options I am still playing with this so I am not sure if it matters with what you want it to do.

In any row where Task Due Date is in the past and Task Complete is unchecked

• lisa.bolger27646
    lisa.bolger27646 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Shannon, can you share this formula?  I am unable to see the screenshot attached.  I would like to be able to use notifications or reminders for exactly this scenario.

Thanks!

Lisa

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Smartsheet just released a new feature called Date-based workflows for Alerts & Actions that will make this much easier to accomplish.

You could let it alert someone on the end date or if it's in the past (late) and not complete.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

Date-based workflows

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.