Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Editing Reports Without Having Access to the Underlying Sheet?

Options

For my solution it would be very convenient to share reports with edit rights without granting them for the underlying sheet. I was not able to achieve this, however, I may as well have tried it the wrong way. Any idea?

Thanks and cheers

Comments

• Atus Bartal
    Atus Bartal ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately it's not possible. See Help:

"For security purposes, a report doesn't give access to sheets that haven't already been shared to a user. For example, you can share a report that looks across three sheets to a collaborator who only has access to one of them. When the collaborator opens the report, they'll only see rows pulled from the one sheet that's shared to them. If the collaborator isn't shared to any sheets, their version of the report will be blank.

To enable someone viewer access to a report without sharing any source sheets, send it to them via email or publish the report to a public URL."

• Old Man Coyote
    Options

Thanks Atus. This is very inconvenient in my case. On one hand, not displaying certain data in a report, depending on whether underlying sheets are shared, does make sense.

On the other hand however, it also makes sense to work with a central sheet, e.g. a team task tracker based on a Smartsheet template, which does contain tasks of the whole team. Managers have full access to the table, however, contributors should only have access to dedicated reports (containing their tasks) and make changes there themselves.

I see no efficient way of achieving this, as contributors work for several managers and managers do have more than one contributor. Maintaining a sheet for each contributor would cause too much administrative effort.

I think an additional role may solve this, "Editor - Access via Reports" or something like this. Could be granted on sheet level and would not allow to access the sheet directly, but only reports on the sheet. This would also retain the omission of sheet data in cases where no access is granted at all.

• Maysa Bakir
    Options

I would also like to put a vote down for the ability to edit a report but not the source sheet. 

• pierced
    pierced ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd also like to see this feature. Being able to edit only the contents of rows or cells on a report without giving full view/edit access to the original sheet would be great.

• Ben Doudle
    Options

I'd also like to see this feature. 

• nikeymikey
    Options

This feature would be fantastic to our organisation as this is one of the main things we need to do with our s/s. We need to share reports but not the main sheet but those reports need to be editable.

• Shaun Hunt
    Options

I'd also like to see this feature to have a simple checkbox on the sheet selection to say ignore underlying sheet sharing. In many cases, sensitive data such as that about employees or vendors can't be shared with other employees or vendors. If the reports could ignore underlying sheet sharing, then Smartsheet could essentially have 'row level' security without having to manually send update requests. This would actually be a powerful security feature. 

• luke_dubas
    Options

I would also like to see this feature implemented.

• Randy Van Winkle
    Options

I would also like this feature

• Ozay_O
    Options

I really need this feature.

• jonnyB
    jonnyB ✭✭
    Options

I also really need this feature.

• Jgrinde27711
    Options

I also need this 

• JDecepida
    Options

I also need this feature.

• Grace Burrows
    Options

I agree. This feature would be v beneficial for the way our team would like to use it. 

• Allison Jones
    Allison Jones ✭✭✭✭
    Options

this would solve my problem... is the an ability to at least have them be able to comment?

This discussion has been closed.