Formula that will add 1 to a Qty row

Options
steve50951
steve50951 ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Newbie to Smartsheet...I am wanting to write a formula that would at a quantity of 1 if the prior column has a date in the cell. I am trying to calculate the # of installations. basically if a date is entered into an install date column, I need the formula to add a quantity to a install quantity column. 

thanks, 

sGF

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 2.32.19 PM.png

Comments

• 12vanblart
    Options

Are you trying to show a rolling total through the sheet, or have a single cell which counts the number of values in the column? 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A simple =COUNT(Install:Install) will give you a running total of how many cells in that column are populated. If you are using Parent/Child rows, you could use a =COUNT(CHILDREN(Install@row)) to have a summary of the sub tasks for each parent task.

Without more detail on exactly what you are trying to accomplish and without being able to see more of the page, it is hard to narrow down a formula that would work for you.

• steve50951
    Options

single value that counts the # in the column

• steve50951
    Options

basically when a date gets entered into the install column, I need the Install Quantity column to automatically update with the value of 1.

SGF

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

=IF(ISDATE(Install@row), "1", "")

If the Install column in the corresponding row is a date, then it will populate with 1. Otherwise it will remain blank.

Is this what you are looking for?

• steve50951
    Options

YES!!! PERFECT. This is exactly what I need. 

Man, you just saved my day! 

thanks again, 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Out of curiosity... What is the purpose of the cell being populated with 1?

I only ask because if there is a way to automate further and save some time (possibly even get rid of columns and make the sheet that much cleaner) then why not.

Just curious.

• Lori Hight
    Lori Hight ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/05/20
    Options

@Paul Newcome - I am trying to do something similar. I have Parent tasks that have the Auto-numbering for a unique request ID. I have children under the Parent that are related to the Parent request. Is there a way to have the Child increment by 1 if a checkbox is checked?

Request ID is Auto-number "20010000". 20 for the year and then 4 digits for the Parent ID to increment. But if a child is added under a Parent can it auto-number?

Parent 1: 20010000

Child 1: 20010001

Child 2: 20010002

Child 3: 20010003

Parent 2: 20010100

Child 1: 20010101

Child 2: 20010102

Child 3: 20010103

Parent 3: 20010200

Child 1: 20010201

Child 2: 20010202

Child 3: 20010203

I created a Child? checkbox to check and I can join or add the Request ID with the Child number but not sure how to get it to work where it is fully automated.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!