Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

What is the best way to backup my data in Smartsheet?

Greg Hawk
Greg Hawk
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

My company is adding a lot of important and senstive data to our sheets and I am concerned that one of our users might accidently delete data that we need. What would be the best back to backup all of our sheets? Is there feature that will automatically backup our sheets?

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 02/19/15

Hi Greg! To backup your sheets, folders, or workspaces go to your Home tab, right click on the sheet, folder, or workspace and select Request Backup. From this menu you have the option to include attachments and to receive an email when the backup is complete. Team and Enterprise customers have the option to set up weekly recurring backups by right clicking on the item and selecting Schedule Recurring Backup.

Backups will include a zip file containing your sheets as Excel files with your sheet data and discussions. Any attachments will be included in a separate folder within the zip file.

Here’s more information from our help center on backing up your data: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/506499-backing-up-your-data

We also posted a blog article on backing up your data: http://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-backing-up-data

• The automatic back up tool in Smartsheet only saves once per week.  This did not work for our company as multiple changes are made on a daily basis to our sheets.  We had our IT department set up daily automatic back ups.  You can go here for more info: http://www.smartsheet.com/apps/smartsheet-org-wide-backup

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Here here.  Let's have the ability to do backups at least once per day.  I have many projects that, due to some user control issues, require daily backups in order to reduce the impact of accidents.  Daily backups are the cure to this ill.

• I have a list of parts and prices.  I would like to have a total value for all the parts selected by a checkmark show in a cell.  Is this possible with SmartSheets?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is. 

This thread is not about that though.

Craig

• mattborn
    mattborn ✭✭✭

Almost 3 years after this post and we can still only backup on a weekly basis? For the critical data I am asking our users to move over into Smartsheets, this is a big red flag for us.

On top of this, I have to instruct each of my users how to schedule their backups? Is there no way from an admin perspective to enforcing backups for all the users?

Is there any plan on updating the backup options that we have?

• Hi Amy,

I read the tools and it looks fantastic, since smart sheet is cloud based, what is working environment to execute this java backup tools,  does it support to run on Windows OS, should I build a windows server and install Java and try to schedule the backup in job scheduler, I am a bit confused and I feel I might miss out some fundamental stuff.. 

Many thanks in advanced

Shermaine

• Hi Brad,

I am new to the tools and smartsheet, I have asked Amy about how to run the tools, the working environment. I have the API code in property file, but don't know where to run it.

Much appreciate If you have a minute to response

This discussion has been closed.