Logic Based Auto-Number

We have a request form that generates an auto-number for each request. We want to open up the request form to handle different types of requests that generate a unique Prefix based on which value they select in one of the fields. Has anyone successfully done this? Here's an example:

Form asks if you want to eat a Sandwich, Salad or Soup for lunch?

If "Sandwich" is selected, the request ID is SAND-001

If "Salad" is selected, the request ID is SALAD-002

If "Soup" is selected, the request ID is SOUP-003

We are trying to avoid having multiple request forms for the same type of request but need a way to differentiate the IDs. Open to suggestions!

Best Answer

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @shira510

I would have the auto-number generate the 001, 002, 003, etc. Then I'd put in another column that would say...

=IF(Type@row = "Sandwich", "SAND", IF(Type@row = "Salad", "SALAD", IF(Type@row = "Soup", "SOUP", ""))) + "-" + RowID@row

I would suggest if you have more Types, that probably a lookup table on another sheet could be a better way to go.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @shira510

I would have the auto-number generate the 001, 002, 003, etc. Then I'd put in another column that would say...

=IF(Type@row = "Sandwich", "SAND", IF(Type@row = "Salad", "SALAD", IF(Type@row = "Soup", "SOUP", ""))) + "-" + RowID@row

I would suggest if you have more Types, that probably a lookup table on another sheet could be a better way to go.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• shira510
    shira510 ✭✭✭

Thanks Matt, this works! Appreciate your help today :)