What is the correct url query to have value pre-populated in form ?


I have created a form for weekly progress status, and all project leader ask me to add if I can pre-populated this form with there previous input, in order to be able to update it more quickly.

I find previous discussion




So I try to use URL Query feature, but I have an issue.

Context : In my grid I have a column “Tests”, and for the subject name “ Subject Véro Test 1” : I have this entry in “Tests” column : URL prepopulated.

I would like to have in my form this text.

I add formula  at the end of form url :


But in the form on field “Tests” I have: SUBSTITUTE([Tests]@row,””,” ”)

In this discussion   https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/55241/pre-populate-a-form#latest, I see other users who have same issue, but I do not find how they have solved this? (I already try to add Space, quotes, suppress quotes….nothing work, I go mad !

Could you help me?


  • Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭

    I Haven't tested but try with the quotes


    You are concatenating a value with a text string..

    I think your formula is seeing it all as text and not evaluating it

    Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

    Facilityy Professional Services Inc.


  • @Brent Wilson thank you for your answer. It is not working (no text)

  • Brent Wilson
    Brent Wilson ✭✭✭✭✭


    This works

    ="https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/fe6f37be72d547d3b7c00a800a8cc06b?Tests=" + Tests@row

    There are two possible issues

    • The issue is in your SUBSTITUTE Statement and I am not quite sure what you want it to do. It cannot search for "". The SUBSTITUTE function is like a Find and replace.. It cannot search for a NULL

    So if I guess you are trying to say if the Test field is blank then put "20%"

    ="https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/fe6f37be72d547d3b7c00a800a8cc06b?Tests=" + IF(ISNULL(Tests@row), "20%", Tests@Row)

    Might be a better way

    • The other issue is the "%" is a special character in HTML and can cause some confusion in the request. I have played around with some code and the only way I can get it to work is to remove the "%" or type "PerCent" which tells me that is the issue

    Also, I used to do things with Transact-SQL and it is a bit sketchy at best if the logic becomes too big and is executed at runtime. You may want to add a helper column for your Substitute to keep the URL call simple.

    Probably doesn't fix the problem but hopefully points you in the right direction

    Brent C. Wilson, P.Eng, PMP, Prince2

    Facilityy Professional Services Inc.