Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Listing Multiple contacts.

Hi, we used to be able to assign and list multiple contacts to row. Now all of a sudden we are only given the option to choose from a drop down list and you can only choose one contact. Is there a way to go back to this feature?

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I am aware, a contact list column type could only hold one contact a time. If you were using a different type of column then you might be able to list multiple people, but then it wouldn't be a contact list-type and the engagement with notifications, reports, etc. would be significantly less. 

See this link for more on the Contact List column type: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504619-column-types#contactlist

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a side-note, you could always create additional contact columns. We did this on our end by adding a Driver column, and Assignee column, and a "handoff to" column so that we could automate several processes. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Hailey,

Yes, assigning multiple people to a task is now available.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518335-assigning-people-to-a-task

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

--

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that you can now quickly & easily assign tasks to multiple people. To do so, check the new "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox in any contact column. The cells in that column will then allow up to 20 people to be added.

You can still leave that option unchecked when you only want a single person to be assigned to a task at a time.

Adding multiple contacts to a cell is useful not only for assigning people, but also for other scenarios where you want to associate multiple stakeholders with a row. For example, you might want those people to receive notifications when the row changes, or you may want them to appear in reports and filters.

For some projects, you may want to add 2 contact columns: one for the primary owner, and another for additional team members.

We welcome you to try it out and let us know what you think.

- Daniel

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I checked the box to allow multiple contacts per cell. Now that sheet won't pull into any reports. I tried to uncheck that box (after I only put one contact per cell), but the box is greyed out. How do I either uncheck the box or make that sheet show up in reports?

Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Katie,

Multiple contacts and single contacts are treated as two different column types. If you changed to multiple contacts, you'd need to add the new column(s) to the report(s).

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi

I have a column that used to allow just a single contact,  since the recent upgrade I can add multiple contacts - this is great, however for my particular use I only ever need a single contact per row - My problem is that the “Allow Multiple Contacts” tick box is greyed out and I cannot find anywhere to un-check  it - please advise 

thanks

Mike

smartsheet.PNG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike,

It's because you have resource allocation enabled it seems and possible if there is something else hindering.

Look at the description in the text on the bottom left for details. 

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

• BP97
    BP97 ✭✭

Hi Mike,

I am having the same issue ("Allow multiple contacts per cell" is greyed out), where you able to find a solution for this?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

This discussion has been closed.