No Sheet Title in Workflow Messages/Update Requests

Options

I noticed that when I create a status update workflow with a custom message, the message comes through without any reference to the sheet. This means the recipient won't know which project they're providing a task update for. Is there an automated way to include the sheet title in the custom message?

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tama Wagner

One way to do that is with a helper column called "Sheet Title" or "Project Name" for example. I usually add that column with a column formula like ="Project 123" or whatever. If you are using Control Center I bounce it from the Summary section at the top and then over to a Summary field on the right side and then into the column formula, or pull it from a metadata sheet. I know it sounds like a lot of steps but set it up once on the template and its there for all the projects.

It's beneficial for, not only the automations, but also for grouped reports across multiple projects where sometimes the sheet name is longer than the project name and it makes the report a little easier on the eyes.

Also, in the Automation set up screen there's an option to include a link to the sheet below where you set up the customized message; but I too like the Project Name in the message itself.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Tama Wagner

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Add a so-called, helper column and add a formula like ="Sheet Name" and convert it to a column formula.
    • Another option could be to add a Sheet Summary field, which you would reference in the formula above

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!