New Comment/Attachment Alerts

Options

Hi all,

I created a workflow to send a notification if a new comment or attachment is added to a ticket. We have a ticket "Requestor" and then an "Assigned To" user. I have the workflow alerting the Assigned To user a notification if a new comment/attachment is added to a ticket # (row).

Is there a way to filter or edit so that only new comments or attachments from the Requestor are alerted to the Assigned To, instead of all comments? Reason being, the Assigned To user will add comments to the ticket and doesn't have to necessarily be notified of his/her own comment.

Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @BristolCVN have you tried adding the Latest Comment to your sheet? Just click on the Conversations tab on the right hand side of your sheet and click open the 3 vertical dots to insert latest column to your sheet. Images below. Then every time a new comment is made to a row, it will auto-update under this column and you can set your automation to run any time a new comment is added to this column - just use Trigger "When rows are added or changed" under Any Field, select "Latest Column" and then choose Action - alert Assigned to from the relevant column. This way, only the newest or latest comments would be sent over to the assignees.

Hope this helps. Let me know :)

Cheers!!

Ipshita Mukherjee

• BristolCVN
    BristolCVN ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ipshita Thank you so much! However, comments can be added to each ticket by both the "Requestor" and the "Assigned To" users, so does the above address if the Assigned To leaves a comment that the Assigned To will not receive a notification? It's more about the Assigned To getting a notification when a Requestor adds a comment or attachment, and vice versa, if the Assigned To leaves a comment that only the Requestor receives notification?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @BristolCVN

I hope you're well and safe!

The Assigned To can change it, so they don't get notified of their changes.

Ask them to change their Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications to unchecked in the Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@BristolCVN

Happy to help!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• MHalvey
    MHalvey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is a great solution but that's Account level, not Asset level. It would be nice to have this ability be custom to the sheet and not the whole account level.

Michael Halvey

"Strive for Progress, not Perfection."

• Thiara Perez
    Options

@BristolCVN Hi, your suggestion above to change the settings. Does this work when the user is not shared to the sheet but will be working from a dynamic view? can they apply those same settings so they don't get notified of their own changes?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!