Charts

Hi,

I have three columns of data in a report and I want it to be displayed in a chart. However, I am not able to get the data to pull from the report and display on the correct axis.

1. Can I create a chart with additional fields that are not being pulled from a report?
  2. The chart keeps setting up gridlines with numbers as the Y axis, but I want it to show a list of departments instead.
  3. On the X axis, I want to show approval levels (L1, L2, L3, ect,), but it shows departments instead.

How do I set up the report so that I can create a chart similar to what's listed below? Another option would be to create a bar chart and put the totals for each of the approval levels at the top of each column, but I didn't see an option to do that either.

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Liz_Snavely

If you want the data to appear exactly how it looks on the report, then use the Report Widget to embed the report directly into the Dashboard. If you want to stick with a Chart, I tried to answer your questions the best I could below:

For Question 1 - Yes, you can choose which columns pull into the chart in the Widget Editor screen. Click on the dropdown menu and choose the columns you want.

For Question 2 - You can play around with the checkbox options to see if that works.

For Question 3 - Same as question 2, I think.

Another option altogether would be to create a metric sheet. This is very common when creating dashboards. You basically buildout the format that you want to pull into the dashboard chart and then bring in all the data you need via cell links or cross sheet formulas onto the metric sheet. This gives you freedom to place the values in different ways on to see how its visualized differently on the dashboard.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Thanks Matt...

How do I bring in all the data you need via cell links or cross sheet formulas onto the metric sheet?