Automated workflow - duplicating a row within a same sheet and then change some cell values

Brewso
Brewso ✭✭
edited 02/25/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello,

Here is the purpose of my sheet, it is a task list based on an IT ticketing request system. The new tasks are feed with a form. I also have a dashboard and reports to track tasks per user from this task list.

So here is my idea, in order for my team to monitor their productivity, one specific type of task needs to be done in two steps with two different people. I was thinking to use an automated workflow, that would be triggered when the status of the initial task is completed and then duplicate the task in the bottom of the table and change the owner and status to another state.

I can't find a way to duplicate within the same sheet, how would automate it? Or do you guys see another way to get the same result?

Thanking you in advance for your help!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Brewso

I hope you're well and safe!

You can duplicate the row in the same sheet, but it would be added at the end of the sheet. You could use a Report to view it grouped.

You would need to use the Smartsheet API or similar to add it to the row after.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brewso
    Brewso ✭✭

Hello @Andrée Starå,

I'm not able to tell you if it will work or not as the API concept is new to me, I'll investigate and learn about it!

My goal is to copy this row, change a few thing in it at the same time. If it work, I'll be happy about the result more then I care about the path I took to get there ;-)

Thank you for the heads-up!

Christian

• Brewso
    Brewso ✭✭

Hello @Andrée Starå,

Congratulations on your February Member Spotlight!

I took a few minutes to search on API, I'm afraid that a too long learning curve for me, I'm not a programmer, nor have any skills in it...

I think I will try and find another way, thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Chris

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Brewso

Thanks so much!

Happy to help!

Did you check the other option out? Using a Report to show the rows together, even if the row is copied to the bottom of the sheet.

Would that work/help?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Brewso
    Brewso ✭✭

Hello @Andrée Starå,

I already use report to track tasks per user, my sheet is feed with a form that also add an auto numbering column as the task ID. If I could copy it to the end of the sheet, that would be even better.

Unfortunately, I can't make it happen?

Any guidance would help.

Thank you

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!