How do I enter Contact List details into a Form?

Options

I want to be able to enter the Name and Email Address components into a Contact List column type field on a form. Is there any way to do this? Or even to create a formula in the Sheet that will calculate the Contact List value with display Name AND Email Address, not just one of the other.

Otherwise, please Smartsheet, can we please have the option to request BOTH name and email components to be entered in a form when the field is a Contact List column type?

Answers

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm assuming that there is no way to do this, so while I'm at it, could we also have a Hyperlink/URL column type (i.e. display text and URL), as well as the "Mailto:" Contact List column type (display name and email address), that I'm effectively requesting above?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Adrian,

Name and email components into a single column: no, you're correct, that is not supported. You would need 3 fields if you want to collect first name, last name, and email address. You could do a single name column, but it's hard to prevent errors with that.

You can add a hyperlink to a cell already. Try Ctrl + K

Single click on a cell (so the cell is selected, but the cursor is not present and blinking).

Hold the Ctrl key, and type K

That opens a fly-out box which asks you for your "Link to URL" and your "Display text".

Looks like this:

Hope this helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Ray Lindstrom, I knew about the Ctrl+K for Sheet entry.

I've been advocating for a HYPERLINK() Function for some time now, so that we could 'calculate' a link using names and URLs. I'd now also like to see that extended to include "mailto:" as well as "http://" links, with display text.

This question was about allowing users to enter 2-parts for display text AND a link, when they encounter/input a Contact List column type on a Form. Alternatively, we could have a Hyperlink column type (like SharePoint has!), that expects/requests a 2-part entry within a Sheet/Form.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!