Assignment of Exclusive Resource

Options
kayoba84
kayoba84 ✭✭
edited 03/14/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Please pardon this newbie question. What is the best way to create list of workers - that will not be part of the Smartsheet user team - that can be treated as resource, whereas when assigned to a particular activity, cannot be assigned to another within the same period (week) until the previous assigned one is completed and worker is not tied to any other activity. Thank you so much for any help.

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 03/16/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kayoba84 ,

When using a Contact list Column you can't restrict values to a single use based on whether those resources have already been assigned or not to other tasks. It sounds like you'd like to track allocation to ensure resources aren't overallocated in their working weeks, Resource Management may be a better option to accomplish what you intend but since this a premium add-on, I've thought of a possible alternative solution within your sheets.

You could possibly add an extra Checkbox Column in your project with a Column formula along the line of:

=IF(AND(OR(WEEKNUMBER(Start@row) = WEEKNUMBER(TODAY()), WEEKNUMBER(End@row) = WEEKNUMBER(TODAY())), COUNTIF([Assigned to]:[Assigned to], [Assigned to]@row) > 1), 1, 0)

This would automatically check the box when users are repeated in a task that starts or end this week (feel free to make adjustments to this to better fit your needs). I've added a capture for further reference on how this could look like:

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 03/16/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kayoba84 ,

When using a Contact list Column you can't restrict values to a single use based on whether those resources have already been assigned or not to other tasks. It sounds like you'd like to track allocation to ensure resources aren't overallocated in their working weeks, Resource Management may be a better option to accomplish what you intend but since this a premium add-on, I've thought of a possible alternative solution within your sheets.

You could possibly add an extra Checkbox Column in your project with a Column formula along the line of:

=IF(AND(OR(WEEKNUMBER(Start@row) = WEEKNUMBER(TODAY()), WEEKNUMBER(End@row) = WEEKNUMBER(TODAY())), COUNTIF([Assigned to]:[Assigned to], [Assigned to]@row) > 1), 1, 0)

This would automatically check the box when users are repeated in a task that starts or end this week (feel free to make adjustments to this to better fit your needs). I've added a capture for further reference on how this could look like:

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio