Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Automation Notifications Using Groups

Jamie Kubik
Jamie Kubik âś­âś­

I would like to be able to use Smartsheet groups as recipients within automation workflow notifications instead of listing each user individually.

88 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

While we can't yet provide a timeframe for release, we're very happy to share that this is in our future plans.

Comments

• Sing C
    Sing C âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 08/09/22

Hi,

Would it be possible to add the ability to send alerts to specific groups alongside the other options when creating a workflow?

Sending to everyone shared to a sheet at times overwhelms people's inboxes or Teams channels, to the point where they mute notifications. Sending to specific people is very narrow and causes maintenance challenges when people change roles.

We have groups setup (e.g. Leadership, Portfolio Managers, etc) and being able to select, for example, Leadership group to receive a notification would help a lot and we simply manage the membership of the group in one place, once.

Another option would be the ability to send alerts to people based on their permissions level (e.g. Admins only, or Commenters and above, etc).

Sing Chen

Process Architect, Ceridian

LinkedIn

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers

It would be nice if we were able to send Smartsheet automation alerts to Smartsheet groups instead of having to select individual contacts. Makes it very tedious and difficult to update the alert as intended recipients are changed.

• Flextur Mike
    Flextur Mike âś­âś­

We have the same challange, we have groups set up in M365 (i.e. LeadershipTeam@domain.com, L10.domain.com, etc.) and would be great to be able to simply alert a Microsoft Distribution Group as well. Even being able to alert a Smartsheet group would be an improvement.

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Workflows fail when people leave the firm. Can workflows be designate by groups so then we only have to manage the groups? This would be very helpful so we don't have to do rework ever time someone joins/leaves the firm.

• alex kramer
    alex kramer âś­âś­

We use smartsheets forms to alert a large group of folks at our site, leveraging notification email workflow, often responding with 'reply all'. The group is on Microsoft Teams, and have had some success in just emailing out to the Microsoft teams email distribution. The problem is that if someone leaves the team, the workflow fails (per smartsheets design, they don't recognize group emails). This would be a significant enhancement to the tool if this could be utilized. The only work around is to add each of the emails to share the sheet, and when sending to them, the reply all function no longer will work.

• A&W Admin
    A&W Admin âś­âś­

Is there any updates on implementing this request in Smartsheet? It really does negate the usefulness of workflows if we have to pick through all our sheets and update names when there is a change in personnel.

• Michael Foster
    Michael Foster âś­âś­âś­âś­

Would be useful to have the ability to send notifications to groups rather than individuals as it would mean reduction in admin for updating automated notifications.

Many thanks,

Mike

• JLamirande
    JLamirande âś­âś­

I have a significant number of automations that are targeted to inform a particular group of individuals about changes in sheets that impact them. However, I can't add a defined Group to the automation notification. Rather, I need to add them as individuals and then maintain them as the Group list changes. By allowing a defined Group to be listed in an automation, I can avoid the misses associated with such a manual and difficult to maintain process.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers

So happy to hear this is on the roadmap

• jan aelbrecht
    jan aelbrecht âś­âś­âś­âś­

Hi, we have the same issue

we want to send out a notification (workflow) when we can start our closing this month, depending on when a certain task is completed.

using a group iso single users would be great

regards

• amb56_cbf
    amb56_cbf âś­âś­

Even though we have names and email addresses in a contact group, smartsheet doesn't recognize a group in a contact list column. Rather than having to enter each contact every time in each row, allow entry of the group name in the field and smartsheet recognize & work the individual email addresses from that group. This would be helpful for "alert someone" in an "assigned to" column.

• Carol DY
    Carol DY âś­âś­

I would like a way to send a group email when a trigger occurs in Smartsheet instead of sending single emails to the individuals on the project.

• Mindfull
    Mindfull âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Hi,

With current features of Smartsheet, we cannot call an email group to any automation workflow.

If is made available will be a helpful feature to automate approvals where group approvals are required or we need to assign multiple people on a task.

Best Regards,

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Happy to see this is a consideration. A much needed feature.

• Nick Burrus
    Nick Burrus âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­

Agreed. Groups should be able to be used in any place that a "user" in automation should be used. As of right now there's very little points for groups unless you pay Smartsheet $10,000+ for workApps

Dr. St Nicholas Burrus DHA, PMP

I build Smartsheets for the US Government, State Government, and about a dozen of the US Fortune 100s.