Dashboards: Pie chart for yes vs no; Formula to count a column range with restrictions

SNickNBCUniUSH
edited 03/15/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a pie chart like the one attached. Pie charts only consider numerical data, and since I'm looking to show a percent of things done ("Yes") vs not ("No"), I have to build a formula.

To give an idea of the breakdown, I attached a sheet visual.

I need restrict data in column one into just "Area 1".

I then need to select a range for column two: Zone 1, Zone 3, and Zone 5. Then I need to count the percent of "Yes" or "No" in columns 7, 8, and 9.

Lastly, I need to show the % yes in a pie chart for columns 7, 8, and 9, broken down by zone. Any help is greatly appreciated. Right now I only have a working formula for counting the % yes within the column:

=COUNTIF([Column 7]:[Column 7], "Yes") / COUNT([Column 7]:[Column 7])

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• Hey @SNickNBCUniUSH

I would personally do this in a separate "Metrics" sheet, using cross-sheet formulas. You're on the right track!

Here's how I would set up my sheet, based on your demo sheet (you don't have to colour code it):

Then you can use two cross-sheet COUNTIFS per row to create your percentages.

For example, for Zone 1, Column 7, it would look like this:

=COUNTIFS({Area}, 1, {Zone}, 1, {Column 7}, "Yes") / COUNTIFS({Area}, 1, {Zone}, 1, {Column 7}, <>"")

Then for each Zone you'd want to adjust the number you're looking for:

{Zone}, 2,

And then for each Column you'll need to delete out and create a new {column range}, like so:

=COUNTIFS({Area}, 1, {Zone}, 1, {Column 8}, "Yes") / COUNTIFS({Area}, 1, {Zone}, 1, {Column 8}, <>"")

Keep in mind once you've created the {range} you can simply copy/paste the text in the other formulas and they'll reference that same column as well. See: Create cross sheet references to work with data in another sheet

Let me know if that makes sense and will work for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• @Genevieve P.

That makes a lot of sense! I'm going to try that. Appreciate the help!