My workflows seem to be duplicating notification

Hi,

I have 2 notifications set up one to notify the "Responsible" person there is a new enquiry row added to the sheet and then another notification when someone "Changes" the "responsible" person field to another user to resend the notification to the new "Responsible" person.

However for some reason some users are receiving 2 emails every time someone adds a new row and I can't work out for what reason this is happening. I have checked the cell history and it has only been added and never changed so shouldn't trigger another notification. It seems like from the emails they are recieving 2 email notification at the exact same time with the exact same notification text so it looks like the "New Enquiry Trigger" is sending it twice and I can't work out why.

Can anyone help what may be the issue? Below are my 2 workflows.

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura Byrne

Try changing the subject line of one of the two workflow alerts so that you can easily tell them apart. That way you'll know if the person is getting two identical alerts or one from each workflow.

How is the value in the "Responsible" field set when a new row is created? Via formula? or manually by the submitting user? If manually, could it be that the user is creating the row, saving, then immediately setting the value in Responsible? If the Responsible value is set before the new Enquiry Row alert actually gets sent, that might result in one of each alert being sent.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Laura Byrne
    Laura Byrne ✭✭
    edited 03/28/23

@Jeff Reisman

Hi Jeff, thanks for your response.

I will change the subject line on the workflows so we can tell them apart and see if it is triggering both workflows.

The team add a new line by filling out a Form only so the 'Responsible' mandatory field is always added at the point of a new line created rather than a line created and then the responsible added this is why I am very confused as why it is duplicating. The responsible field is a drop down in the form to a persons email address and is completed along with the form not after we have saved/submitted. We have only recently experienced this happening, we have used the same process for over a year now and it has never duplicated before but the last few months seems to be happening quite regulary.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Laura

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Laura Byrne That is pretty strange!

On occasion I have had automations go wonky on me, and sometimes the only way to fix it is to just recreate it from scratch and delete the old one. 🤷‍♂️

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!