Change form that would update original data in sheet

We use Smartsheet forms to collect data for events. Sometimes information changes like dates or times.

Using a unique identifier, is it possible to create another form to report changes in certain rows?

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

We had this need and eventually invested in Data Shuttle. This can solve the problem, but it's like $25k per year.

The alternative is some combination of Copy and Move commands to bring records into one sheet, combining them in order to merge in the updated fields, and then moving the bad row out and keeping the new combined record. I found it to be pretty unstable and since there is no Delete workflow, you end up with a garbage sheet that just collects garbage.

• Anson Cheung
    Anson Cheung ✭✭✭✭

Hi Connie, Smartsheet form can only add rows to a sheet but not update. You may consider triggering "Update Request" by automation if you want to capture changes on certain cells.

Another way you may want to look into is Dynamic View, which is a premium add-on (i.e. yes, additional costs) and more sophisticated.

--Anson

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Connie Cochran

I hope you're well and safe!

• Premium App, Dynamic View
    • Have a form to select the submission id and that would trigger an update request.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.