Populate multiple cells in sheet when code matched in another sheet

Hi, i'm totally lost on this one and hope the community can help.

I have 2 sheets, 1 and 2.

Sheet 1 has column called "code" (unique ref number) and other columns 'color', 'size', 'cost', 'weight', 'location'

In sheet 2, i also have column called "code", and 2 other columns for 'color' and 'size'

the dream is, when user types a code into sheet 2, and that code matches a code that is already in sheet 1, i want the other columns in sheet 2 (color and size) to populate with the relevant cell content from sheet 1. (hope that makes sense!)

this means all the user ever has to do is type the code into sheet 2 and all the data will appear, and i hope if the color were to change in the future in sheet 1, that would also update content of sheet 2.

thanks so much for any help!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @craig 2022

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!