Is it possible to create a workflow to transfer indented rows to a separate sheet?

Options

Is there any way for the workflow to trigger and move the indented row independently from their parent row to a separate mirrored sheet (exact same set up)?

My specific scenario:

Tracking form numbers that fall under different categories (series/subseries). The forms are indented to be nested under their respective series and subseries. When a form is marked obsolete, we would like it to move to our inactive forms sheet which is set up the same exact way. The workflow does not trigger because it is nested under the "parent" row.

My question: Is it possible to create a workflow that automates indented rows to be moved to another sheet? If not, what would be a good alternative to this issue?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @LTKT

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

You'd combine the above with a formula that checks if it's a parent och child row.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• LTKT
    LTKT ✭✭
    Options

Hi Andrée,

Thank you, I am! I hope you are too!

The solution does make some sense, however I am unfortunately not familiar with any of those functions. I have watched a few tutorials for the Index/Match structure but I am unable to get this part to work correctly before even trying to create the helper-column.

When you say, "as many rows as you think you need" does that mean under each subseries on the inactive page I would have to have a corresponding number of blank rows already existing for this to work? The active forms sheet will constantly have new rows added under each section, so would we have to go in to the inactive forms to adjust that each time?

I truly apologize, I am trying to understand how this function works for my situation but it is proving very challenging. Would you be able to help with providing the formulas for the matching and helper column? Or a link to a walkthrough that may speak more specifically to what we need for these sheets? I greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!