Actions Button for Slack Integration

Options

I am recently working on a workflow while utilising the slack integrations, particularly with notifications. However, I have seen that there can be actions set as part of the slack notifications on the smartsheet site (more specifically action requests (decline or approve)), but there is no indication this process can be placed.

Can anyone help me to see if there are this action request can be placed? Or is it something that will be implemented in the future?

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Sahand

If you send an Update Request to a specific person, and that person has the Smartsheet Bot installed in Slack, then this will appear as an alert in their Smartsheet bot that has an actionable button to click on from the alert. This would be a direct message from the bot.

Update and approval requests are only sent as direct messages in this bot. See: Receive Alerts and Requests in Slack

Let me know if that answered your question!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you so much for the help. I understand that they need to have the smartsheet bot installed on slack.

Do I add that specific person, via their integration email or is it their full email address?

Thank you,

Sahand

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sahand

You would add their Smartsheet contact to the action block (the email used with their Smartsheet account and Slack account), just as if you were sending the alert to their email.

Then they'll receive an email alert, an alert within the App, and the Slack alert as long as their personal notification settings in Smartsheet allow this:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you so much for the reply and the clarification.

I have the Smartsheet bot installed on slack but the bot does not respond.

In addition, the "Messaging Apps" column within the Notification Preferences page does not let me tick off the checkboxes. Am I missing a step or is it directly linked to the the Smartsheet bot not responding?

Many thanks,

Sahand

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sahand

Aha! That image helps a lot - so yes, those Messaging Apps checkboxes would need to be selected.

If you're unable to select them, I would ask the System Admin of your plan/organization to check the Account restrictions set at an Admin level, as this ability may be turned off:

Here's more information: Admin Center: Manage Security & Controls

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.

Do you reckon that is the reason why the smartsheet bot on slack does not respond to my commands/messages?

Or is this a permission scope issue, if so do you know which scope it is?

Many thanks,

Sahand

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sahand

Yes, if the Admin for your organization as turned off the ability to receive notifications in Slack, then you will not be able to receive notifications in the Smartsheet slack bot.

Once they turn that on (as in my screen capture, with the blue checkbox), then you should be able to check all of the "Messaging Apps" notifications in your personal settings, which will then allow you to receive notifications in the slack bot. Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Yes that makes perfect sense! I really appreciate it.

The admin has informed me that the settings are already set to those, as seen from the image.

Is there any other reason for this?

Many thanks,

Sahand

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sahand

That's great! That's the first step.

Ok next thing to check is that after you added the Bot, were you able to authenticate within it?

Steps 3 & 4 in this Help Article:

3. Type anything to the bot to start a conversation with it. The bot will greet you and ask for your authorization. When prompted, select Allow Access.

The Smartsheet sign in and authorization pages appear.

4. Sign in to your Smartsheet account and select Allow.

You noted earlier that it "doesn't respond". If the bot doesn't greet you, then I would check your Admin settings for Slack - your organization may be blocking apps like this in Slack. There are steps in this Slack Help Article article to ensure this bot can respond and allow access. Let me know if this was the blocker!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I am getting this sorted with my admin on slack, I believe the workspace for the Smartsheet integration was restricted to everyone.

I appreciate it once again, I will update you on the results.

Many thanks,

Sahand

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve Evans,

Thank you so much for the help. The bot is finally working!

I wanted to ask whether whether the bot can receive a slack notification without receiving an email as well?

In addition, is it possible to receive the same looking notifications from the bot within a channel?

Kind Regards,

Sahand

• Sahand
    Sahand ✭✭
    Options

I apologise, i do mean @Genevieve P.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Sahand

The user would need to turn off all email notifications in order to only see the alert in slack. As an alternative, you could send the alert to a slack channel, which would then only be in slack!

You can also get an "email" from a slack channel and use the "send to specific people" to subscribe that channel to the alert. The email option in Slack:

Adding the channel email address in the alert will format the alert similar to how you see it in your inbox.

Cheers,

Genevieve