How can I keep Automations from duplicating the body text for every name in a list?

I need to be able to alert managers about issues with Goals and provide them a list of names so they can follow up. But what I get is the email repeated 7 times with one employee name per duplicated message. This has forced us to send generic messages which simply are not as effective. This issue has been raised a few times since 2019. Is there any resolution? Is there a way to put in a qualifier that would suppress repeated body text for each manager name and simple list the employee names for the manager? This would be incredibly helpful for many of your users.

Thanks!

Arletta B

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Arletta B

I hope you're well and safe!

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

•  What I want to see is one message to each manager with a list of their employee names that meet the set criteria. Instead, I get one email per one employee name and then repeated for each additional employee name. I would think there would be a way to control for this either through a command or a selection that does not repeat the body of the message. ???? Would greatly appreicate any help on this, especially since this has been an ongoing issues/request for a few years.

Thanks!

Arletta

Hello Manager,

Our records indicate that you have not completed the Q1 check-in process with the following employees:

Walt Disney

If you have not already done so, please schedule your quarterly check-in conversations with your employees and complete those conversations by April 28th. During your meeting, confirm their achievements in the first quarter, provide feedback and gain alignment on their Q2 deliverables and priorities.

Document your feedback in Smartsheet in the Q1 Manager comment boxes. Enter the date you held the conversation as this lets us know the task is completed, and we are reporting out on this metric.

If you have questions or need assistance with Smartsheet, please reach out to XXXXX@XXXXX.com, or your HR Business Partner for other questions.

Thank you,

-

Hello Manager,

Our records indicate that you have not completed the Q1 check-in process with the following employees:

Micky Mouse

If you have not already done so, please schedule your quarterly check-in conversations with your employees and complete those conversations by April 28th. During your meeting, confirm their achievements in the first quarter, provide feedback and gain alignment on their Q2 deliverables and priorities.

Document your feedback in Smartsheet in the Q1 Manager comment boxes. Enter the date you held the conversation as this lets us know the task is completed, and we are reporting out on this metric.

If you have questions or need assistance with Smartsheet, please reach out to XXXXX@XXXXX.com, or your HR Business Partner for other questions.

Thank you,

-

Hello Manager,

Minnie Mouse

Thank you,

-

Hello Manager,

Donald Duck

Thank you,

-

• Lachlan Stead
    Lachlan Stead ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could you merge all relevant employee's still outstanding into a single field (multi-select dropdown maybe) and separated by CHAR(10) to form a so called list within the one email to the manager? Sorry, not sure how the sheet is currently structured so don't know if that helps?

• Not sure. I'll have to play around with this. Thank you for the suggestion!