Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Auto Number Primary Column

Options

Of the various data types a new column can use, it is logical that the Primary Column can only be Text/Number or Auto Number. However, Auto Number is not an option as of now. I would like to request having Auto Number be an option for the Primary Column.

There are many applications of intake or request sheets are used where an automatic number makes logical sense to be the primary column. Implementing this change would assist users in simplifying a commonly reused solution. I'm well aware that a hidden column using auto number type being referenced via a function in the primary column achieves the desired outcome, for example, this function in the primary column pointing to the hidden column "Request Number" that uses the auto number type:

=[Request Number]@row

But using two columns to do the work of one is just so inefficient. It should be built in to Smartsheet.

12 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• tmasters
    Options

Auto Number is not an option as of now for the Primary Column and I feel like this would be super helpful! Implementing this change would assist users in simplifying a commonly reused solution. I know about, and personally use, workarounds such as a hidden column using auto number type that references a formula in the primary column.

=[Request Number]@row

But having to use two columns to do the work of one is inefficient when this is something Smartsheet could easily do.