Formula or Workflow for Expiration Date Notifications?

Need help with Workflow or Formula!

I have a sheet set up with rows of social content assets, columns of information about each asset including their date of first use, and then their date of expiration. I need to create notifications that will send an email at 60 days, then at 45 days, then at 30 days, then at 15 days, then finally at 7 days in advance of the expiration date for each individual row's expiration cell. Here is one of the workflows I have set-up.

The problem is that when it runs it sends alerts for all assets that are expiring within 60 days, meaning we get multiple notifications for the assets, not just once on the date 60 days in advance of the expiration. Does that make sense? How can I adjust these Workflows to work properly and/or do I need to use column based formulas too?

Appreciate any insights you may be able to provide!

Thanks

Peter

Best Answer

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The easiest way I have found to manage this type of process is to set up multiple date columns with basic formulas to output the appropriate date on each row. Then set up separate workflows for each of the date columns. It may not be as neat and tidy as using a single workflow, but it is easier to manage, easier to set up, and easier to troubleshoot.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response. I'm a bit of a Smartsheet newbie... any tips on the formula syntax I should be using for the new date column? I assume I have to create a formula that populates the new column with the date that is 60 days in advance of the date in the expiration column? Then build a workflow to send notification on that new date?

LMK

THX

P

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Adding days to a date is a straightforward as it sounds.

=[Expiration Date]@row + 60

Then you can set an automation to run on a date field and set your conditions as needed.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com