How can I connect multiple sheets into 1 master sheet?

brookedenevan
brookedenevan ✭✭
edited 05/31/23 in Formulas and Functions

I have multiple sheets, each populated by their own form. I would like each sheet's columns imported into the master sheet and populate the same row. Is that possible?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @brookedenevan

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ok I made a column in the HR sheet called HR ID and the values are HRID1, I want all the columns in that sheet to go to the master sheet. Could you give me an example of what that would look like? I found the below formula but I can't seem to wrap my head around what goes in those () blocks.

=
    INDEX({ColumnWithTheValueYouWantToShow}; MATCH(CellThatHaveTheValueToMatch@row; 
    {ColumnWithTheValueToMatchAgainsTheCell}; 0))

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have you looked into creating a row report or a copy row automation?

Will the name be entered in the Master sheet first?

Is it possible to have the same name in both the HR and the Supervisor sheet?

The challenge with using the unique ID and INDEX/MATCH is that you would need to manually enter the unique ID into the Master sheet to give it something to match on.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!