Why can't I add a template to a dashboard?

I've created a template that I want to make available to team members. When I edit the dashboard and select option to add a shortcut, the template I created doesn't show up in the selection list.

Best Answer

Answers

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trenner

I would suggest putting the template(s) into a dedicated folder or workspace and then put the link to that folder/workspace on the dashboard.

Hope this helps!

• trenner
    trenner ✭✭

That was my workaround. Wasn't sure why I couldn't select a template from the list in the same way I would a report or a sheet.

• Hi @trenner

Templates don't have a specific URL like a Sheet or Report. When you click on a template icon in a folder it shows you a preview in a pop-up window, but there isn't a direct link to that pop-up window that a Dashboard could access. Does that help clarify?

I agree with the idea of a link to a folder. An alternative would be to have a View-Only Sheet as your "template" (instead of using the template type of item) so your users can save a version with Save as New.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• trenner
    trenner ✭✭
    Answer ✓

I figured that might be the case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks for the clarification...much appreciated.