Automations and Microsoft Team Channels

LWright
LWright ✭✭✭
edited 06/21/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I have created Automations that "Alert Someone" when certain conditions are met. The "someone" is a Microsoft Teams Channel.

The individuals in the channel have updated their Smartsheet profile and selected "Messaging Apps" like the following:

The problem is they only want notifications that are generated as a result of the Alert Someone - Microsoft Teams Channel automation to go to Teams -- not any of the normal Smartsheet notifications they receive outside of the channel. Is this possible?

Does one of the categories above apply specifically to Teams Channels ("Sheet Changes and Reminders", "@Mentions, Sharing Invitations...", etc.?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @LWright

The items listed on the left hand side are the actions that trigger the workflow. Then the boxes indicate where you want those notifications to be displayed. Messaging Apps is associated with Teams.

There are 2 ways to receive alerts in Teams: through the Smartsheet Bot (direct notifications) or to a Channel (defined in a workflow).

If your users don't want to receive other notifications in Teams, they can uninstall the Smartsheet Bot, see: Microsoft Teams Integration: Uninstall the Smartsheet Bot

In your workflow you've chosen a channel, so even if they have the Bot uninstalled, they should still receive your message in the channel as it's not a direct message specifically to them. Does that make sense?

Let me know if that worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @LWright

The items listed on the left hand side are the actions that trigger the workflow. Then the boxes indicate where you want those notifications to be displayed. Messaging Apps is associated with Teams.

There are 2 ways to receive alerts in Teams: through the Smartsheet Bot (direct notifications) or to a Channel (defined in a workflow).

If your users don't want to receive other notifications in Teams, they can uninstall the Smartsheet Bot, see: Microsoft Teams Integration: Uninstall the Smartsheet Bot

In your workflow you've chosen a channel, so even if they have the Bot uninstalled, they should still receive your message in the channel as it's not a direct message specifically to them. Does that make sense?

Let me know if that worked for you!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

This is the best explanation I have found about this topic! Thanks, Genevieve. I will test it out and let you know the results.

• LWright
    LWright ✭✭✭

I tested with 2 users (I was one of them). We both removed (unregistered) the Smartsheet Bot from Teams and we were still able to receive the notifications to our channels from the automation. I will have all of the other users unregister. Thanks so much for your help.

• Glad to hear it! 🙂